Advice for New Commissioners

Yah, in da previous thread, Docrwm confessed to bein' a new commissioner, recently out of trainin', and working mostly in serving Cub Scouting units, eh? He expressed interest in serving kids and units, in ways that were truly helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind to others.

So in that spirit, what thoughts, ideas, and advice would da group like to share for a new unit commissioner?

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Docrwm

Please correct me if I have misread something, but I do not find what Beavah has said you said in any of the posts in the thread he has referenced. Is the premise of this thread not true, or did I miss something?

And why would anyone need to "confess" that they are a new commissioner is it a state of sin that requires penance and forgiveness?

1/ Take the time to read as much as you can that has to do with the program areas that you cover.

2/ Find yourself a real pal. A friend who you can talk with. Someone who can let you know when you are becoming too full of yourself and when maybe you should tell things as they are.

3/Look the part.

4/If you are assigned to a unit that maybe isn't the best? Remember that it didn't get that way overnight. Helping them get back to where they should be isn't going to be a quick fix.

5/ If you don't know something, say that you don't know.

6/ Be consistent.

7/Be fair.

8/ Remember that you are not a member of the unit.

9/Treat adults as adults.

10/ Do your best to attend Commissioner meetings. District Commissioners are very needy people who don't like being left alone. (That was a joke. - But sharing your information from the unit will result in better unit service.)

Eamonn

Listen actively. Listen far more than you speak... 3/4 listening to 1/4 speaking.

No surprises. Call the CC or the SM/CM/Adv before you show up.

Be in their communication loop, as a listener. It's a source of information.

No surprises. If you see something worthy of note, make sure you talk about it quietly with the CC or CM/SM/Adv first.

Listen.

Observe.

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know an answer when asked.

Do your best to get the answers to those questions as soon as you can.

Don't be afraid to ask for advice/help from other commissioners should you need it.

Ask to be placed on unit newsletter or event notification email lists.

Don't bring your visitation report forms to the meetings, and don't fill them out till after you have left.

Attend or take online trainings for adult positions you may be interacting with but haven't served in.

Don't be a stranger at Roundtables, Commissioner meetings or annual Commissioner Conferences.

You may find after a time that you have an open invitation to attend any unit meeting, committee meeting or unit event with the units you serve. It's still best to communicate in advance that you will be there. Beyond not surprising them, you'll want to make sure the meeting time/location has not changed for one reason or another.

If you are a friend to the units you serve, they will want to keep you in the loop.

we have all had "that boss" or "that teacher" who we will never forget because they taught you and inspired you. Emulate that person.

Here is my input:

1) be REAL. be yourself and down to earth. This is scouts, not congress. Be approachable and friendly.

2) give realistic advice. Better to have real life from experience examples not what the book says.

3) realize your audience. I really think that leadership training should be less about rules and more about how to be a leader. Being given a leadership role doesnt make you a leader. Your actions do.

4) have a sense of humor. The best bosses/teachers you can have fun with yet maintain a professional relationship.

5) admit your lack of knowledge and mistakes. Dont blame others or try to get around a problem. Face it head on.

6) Authority and responsibility go hand in hand. Dont make other responsible without giving them the authority to follow up.

7) Be the kind of leader YOU would follow.

I feel like if leaders acted more like professionals it would be better off for all.