Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I have been lurking the last few days and this looks like a place where I can easily fit in. I am the wife of an eagle scout and the mother of a new boy scout and a bear cub. We belong to an awesome pack, with wonderful, willing parents. I am the bear cub den leader. I feel a little intimidated by the boy scout troop, but it is just a matter of time before I am totally involved with that group of people as well. My husband is a new assistant scoutmaster with the troop. My oldest son will be leaving tomorrow for his first 9-day camp at H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation. He will be the 5th generation scout from the family to go to this camp. He is very excited to see everything his dad has been telling him about for the past several years.

I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone here. Looks like a great group of people.

Janet

Janet,

Welcome to the forum. It sometimes gets very raucous (watch out for the political/issues section).

My advice, stick to the Cub Scout side until your Bear crosses over and then you can become more involved with the troop. The opposite for your husband. That way, neither of you get burn out by trying to do too much. However, attend one of your older son's outings - they can be an eye opener!

It's been I while since I've kissed the pig in the Plaza. K.C. is a wonderful town, pass the Gates BBQ!

Thanks for the welcome. I am very active with the cub pack and that keeps me pretty busy! Getting ready to do back-to-school recruiting.

We attended our troops very first ECOH (2 scouts) and that was my first. It was wonderful! Big plans for both of my boys!!

I will go to camp for visitors Sunday and I am very excited about all of that too. My husband was working on staff when we were dating and he loved every minute of it! Can't wait to see what some of it is all about!!

Believe it or not, I have never had Gates BBQ!!! What is this pig you speak of????

Thanks!

Janet

Welcome to the forums! I agree with Acco40 regarding sticking with cubs for a while. I still miss the cubs and I'd go back if I had the chance. It's the best way to be involved and still remember it's about the boys and not us.

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful welcome!!!

I have been preparing myself mentally for the up-coming cub year. I can't believe they will be Bears! Time flies!

My husband and oldest son have been gone a whole day to camp and I just wonder how it's going!!

I have been reading posts and John-in-KC caught my eye. My husband's name is John!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Janet

Janet,

Welcome, in Friendship and Warmth! If you haven't heard these yet, I suspect you will by the time your your Bear has been to Camp Osceola for 3 or 4 seasons. :D

Here is hoping your boys find Scouting fun enough to stick it out until they can be staffers. The pay isn't great, but the growth is!!!

I'm from the Internationally Famous North Star District. You'll find other HOAC Scouters here as well :)

Enjoy.

Thank you, John-in-KC

My boys love scouting, it is in their blood!! Their dad was on staff for many years and he couldn't wait to get back down there this year. My bear cub told me he wants to be on staff someday!!

I made my first trip to the Bartle Reservation and it was great!!! My son is having a wonderful time. He's not an enthusiastic kid, but there was a twinkle in is eye I had never seen before! He is doing a lot of fun things at camp!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Janet