"Trained" patch for youth

What constitutes training for the scouts? For adults it is very clear, but not for the kids. If the DC takes the prescribed training, if there is such an animal anymore, or does the DL teach the boy and that constitutes training? NYLT? ok, but what about the troop level program? What about TG's, scribes? etc?

Stosh

To be specific, the Den Chief does not absolutely require "official" training, but it is definitely a good idea. Check with your Council, there is a DC training curriculum, about half a day. Also, there is a good on-line training at www.olc.scouting.org and look to the right column. Den Chief is not necessarily included in the NYLT, but it should be.

My experience is that if the boy completes the District/Council NYLT, he gets the "Trained" strip, but not Troop sponsored training. Hasn't happened for the DC course, which has always been a seperate Saturday morning.

One more particulararity, I guess.

Good Den Chief, better Cubs, more Scouts. Simple equation.

YiS

SSScout

I had my boys do the on-line portion of DC training, but it was touted as just the fast-start part of the program but needed the "rest of the training". I checked with my council concerning this, they said if I wanted it, I should teach it. I said I would be happy to if they would send me the curriculum. After two weeks, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the materials. It's gotta be buried pretty deep to be any regular part of our council's training program.

So the question remains: if the boy completes the full DC training, does he wear the TRAINED patch with the DC POR patch? I assumed that with adults one does not wear the TRAINED patch with whatever POR patch unless trained for that specific position.

Without any specific directive, I guess one just does what they want then.

Stosh

"My error, I belive that completion of the Den Chief Training. which is now on-line is the basic training for the office of Den Chief."

I made an inquiry to our Council Training Chair who stated the same answer. He said that additional training for Den Chiefs was also available at the Cub Scout Pow Wow.

The online Den Chief training is "Fast Start" training, just like the online fast start for other positions. To be fully trained a Den Chief must complete the four hour course. Upon completion of the course, a Den Chief should be awarded a Trained strip.

The syllabus is an item which much be purchased from the Supply division. Check your Scout Shop. It's a small pamphlet, and not extremely expensive.

My district offers Den Chief training, as does our council. But both are large and well staffed by volunteers. Many Scouters may not be in districts or councils where this is the case.

A Scoutmaster has always been able to administer the Den Chief training for youth in his unit. If a Scoutmaster does so for an existing Den Chief, I would suggest having the Den Leader with whom the Den Chief is serving, attend as well. This will help them both have a good working relationship.

What infoscouter said.

Gold Shoulder Cord: Be a Den Chief. see www.scouting.org , Cub Scouts, Den Chief.

Red white and Blue Shoulder Cord: Den Chief Service Award. Take the training, be a Den Chief for a year, and do some other stuff.

Encourage'm. How they gonna be DenChief if'n they don't know they could be?

Train'em. How they gonna be a good Den Chief if'n they don't know what they should do?

Use'm. How they gonna feel good about bein' a Den Chief if'n they don't do it?

Attaboy'em. How they gonna keep doin' it if'n they don't know they doin' it good?

jblake: Keep pushing for the Council/District to offer the training. Help'em do it. Can't do anything but be good.

YiS

Fellow Scouters,

My Troop recognizes the Scouts the Trained patch at the end of TLT.

For the Crew, we recognize the Venturers with the Trained patch at the end of Crew Officers Brief and Crew Officers Orienation.

Regarding the Den Chief. In previous editions of the Den Chief Handbook, didn't the Den Chief handbook (before the Den Chief online training was announced) state, that the Den Chief may be trained by the Cubmaster, the Scoutmaster or attend Den Chief Training. I do not have my DC handbook with me right now. But I would still hold that to be a true statement, if it is the current handbook.

But a difficult debate I've seen and discussed before is.... What if a Troop (or Crew) holds semi annual SPL and PL elections, and the leadership PORs change dramitically every six months. Similar to trained DL or trained Committee Members coming over to the Troop.

Certainly they need to attend training for their newest position. But do the need to remove and re-sew, and remove and re-sew, and remove and re-sew, etc, etc, etc the Trained patch every few months?

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"Certainly they need to attend training for their newest position. But do the need to remove and re-sew, and remove and re-sew, and remove and re-sew, etc, etc, etc the Trained patch every few months?"

According to the Insignia Guide, it is worn only with the POR requiring training.

Also, if the boy no longer holds a POR, he does not wear a trained patch. Trained patches are only worn in conjunction with the office patch for which one has taken training for.

There really is no 'catch all' youth training. Youth take their position-specific training thru the troop-run Troop Leader Training course.

From the Insignia Guide:

"Boy Scout junior leaders who have completed troop junior leader training and den chiefs who have completed the den chief training conference may wear the Trained Leader emblem beneath their badge of office."

"Note: The Trained Leader emblem may be worn only in connection with the emblem of office for which training has been completed."

The current Troop Leader Training is what is being refered to as 'troop junior leader training'.