Scoutmaster gifts to new Eagle Scouts

My Troop will have its first three Scouts receive their Eagle this fall. We are a young Troop so this is very special and NEW to us. Do most Troops give gifts to their Eagle Scouts or are gifts given from the Scoutmaster? If they are Scoutmaster gifts, what has been some "neat" gifts the boys have received?? Thanks for your help.

Some troops have a troop tradition of presenting all the Eagle Scouts with something. As these are your first Eagles, now's the change to start a tradition. One I've heard of is a special troop Eagle neckerchief. I've heard of Eagles being given NESA Life memberships, various eagle items from the scout catalog, etc.

The Scout Catalog has many things appropriate for Eagle Scouts. Take a look.

My troop's gifts varied. Sometimes it was a custom Eagle knife, sometimes a custom eagle belt buckle, for me I got a gold eagle pendant. But it wasn't from the BSA catalog, although they nbow have some nice options.

One of the things I've given is a copy of the 1910 BSA handbook. I have someone do the calligraphy in the appropriate spots.

We get duplicates of the scout's merit badges, rank advancments and other insignia and mount them in a frame for a wall display. That's a tradition from my troop when I was a scout and I instituted in my son's troop a couple of years ago.

Also, we Scoutmasters all chip in for an NESA membership.

I really like to give a copy of the "The Legend of Eagle Mountain," mounted and framed. It is an inspiring little story, and something they can keep up with for life. At $8.00 it is a very reasonable cost.

http://www.eaglebook.com/certif.htm

(I have no affiliation with this site)

Our troop provides an Eagle neckerchief and slide, which is presented and adorned on the new Eagle by the most recent previous Eagle.

BSATroop1989<

gifts for eagles...can't say how far back it was started but the troop buys a really nice, really big, eagle decorated sheet cake for the reception. We also buy the scout an Eagle Bolo...In our troop the scouts wear troop neckers and the adults wear scout theme bolos and Eagle wear eagle bolos. The troop also buys one of the nice wood Eagle award frames that holds the certificate and the medal. We mount the certificate but give the metal to the young man if the Eagle is having a ECOH (his choice)..if not, we mount the metal also. Our Scoutmaster presents a paid membership to NESA (if he wants...and so far they all have)...as his gift and not the troops...

But do what is right for your troop and do not force anything on the SM...if he wants to do something he can...but that should be his decision...

good scouting...let us know what you work out...

anarchist

I'm biased, but I think it would be more appropriate for an Eagle Scout to give a gift to the Scoutmaster. :)

As a troop, we supply the Eagle "kit" - medal, mentor pin, parents pin, patch. As a Scoutmaster, I've given gifts to various Scouts but not the same thing to all.

Also, what most of the boys prefer to get at 16, 17 & 18 - itune gift cards, money, etc. are not the gifts that they would look back on and treasure - Eagle carved neckerchief, plaque, etc. So, keep that in mind when thinking about a gift.

I give new Eagle Scouts a $25 gift certificate to kiva.org

www.kiva.org

Kiva is an organization which makes microeconomic loans to small entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries. The Scout goes on the web site and selects the precise person that he would like to help. When enough people combine their money to add up to the amount that the entrepreneur has requested (typically $500-$1000), the person gets their loan. Repayment rates are extremely high >99% and the money comes back to the lender. The Scout can loan the money then to another entrepreneur or take it out through PayPal.

I have one sum with Kiva which has been loaned and paid off 3 times and is working on its 4th time.

I have started giving similar gifts for graduations, etc. also. It strikes me as a wonderful way to introduce Scouts to capitalism and business, make them award of the 3rd world and enable them to make a difference themselves.