Sleeping Arrangements

Council recently had Cub Adventure Camp and Webelos Camp. Our DE worked it.

Apparently, he and his fiancee shared a cabin. His comment was that it was okay as they were engaged.

Powers to be at council apparently knew about it.

This is not new as similar things have happened at Summer Camp, especially when both were on staff. Again, those at the top knew as did the campers.

Am I right in that BSA rules state such arrangements should not happen?

Any suggestions on how to approach this to the DE? To Council?

Should anything be said?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK, BSA policy is that married couples can share sleeping arrangements, unmarried can't. Engaged isn't married.

And in some cases, being married you'll still be in separate areas. (ie married couples aren't likely to be housed together at NOACs or Jamborees)

This should be brought up to his boss, the SE.

Yah, srisom. I assume that neither of 'em is a minor?

You say the "powers that be" at the council knew about and approved the arrangements, eh? So if the man's boss approved, I'm not exactly sure why it's your business?

Too many other factors can be in play; the availability of cabin space bein' one that immediately comes to mind, but lots of others are possible.

Beavah

The "powers that be" knew but apparently looked the other way. IMHO, ignoring the situation is not approving of it, but more like, if we don't say anything it will go away.

Not a good example to set for the youth, either by the council or the DE and others.

Is it any of my business, probably not, except that I care about the image that is portrayed, especially by the professionals, to the youth that are served.

Ignoring a situation is tantamount to approval, but it does not make it right.

If they're engaged does it really matter? I mean even if the rules say only married couples, why does it matter if they share one, if they are engaged, why is this such an issue to you anyway? So I guess what I'm asking is why do you care so much, if it really doesn't seem like it's any of your business, and it seems like your making a big deal about something so small that can get a man out of a job. Is that the objective?

Either way, I guess it's not my business as to your reasons, but I'd assuming by your post, that it was approved by someone above him. (Though that doesn't necessarily mean it's allowed.)

Hmmmm . . .. they're engaged so it really doesn't matter because engaged is almost like being married. So what about dating, that's almost like being engaged so that's almost like being married? What about "we just met" that's like dating.

So what if he gets canned? He knows the rules.

According to the Guide to Safe Scouting:

"Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available."

If you really want to pursue the matter, you can go to your Scout Executive (top guy) and ask for a clarification on this matter. If the SE asks what you mean, you can give the example of this DE and say that you want to be sure that you understand for your own campouts.

If one really wanted to be a hairsplitter about the G2SS, one could say that it says that the leaders must HAVE separate sleeping facilities, not that they must USE them. :) However, I believe what is intended is quite clear.

Did any of the Cub Scouts notice or care? Is this a fight worth fighting? That may be a different question.