"Authority" for flag retirement?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain the significance of saving or rescuing the grommets when a flag is retired? As far as I know, the flag is the stars, stripes, and the blue field. Nowhere is there mention of grommets!

Grommets are simply a utilitarian device to make it easy to attach the flag to some other object, like a pole or a rope. So why do we attach significance to the grommets? Are we just practicing LNT by not leaving non-combustible material in a fire ring? I'm curious about placing the on grave markers. Unless they're embedded or screwed on, wouldn't they just fall off during the next strong wind and become so much detritus littering the gravesite, effectively transferring the LNT problem from the fire ring to the cemetery? Maybe I'm just not sentimental enough.

• 3 weeks later...

When this topic came up, I contacted the Library of Congress' research section and asked them if there had ever been a congressional resolution authorizing the Boy Scout to retire flags, perhaps in response to complaints of "flag burining."

They finally responded. Nope was the answer. They did give some history on the flag code and even referenced the Boy Scout Handbook. Nothing nowhere give the Boy Scouts, VFW, or US Marine Corps special priveleges when it comes to flag retirement.

Many troops around here save the grommets and they are given to someone they feel are special. Most people believe getting these grommets from a scout of fellow scouter is something very special.

We retired several flags last winter. The boys collected the grommets, enough for each to have one and each said he was going to give it to someone special - usually a relative who served in the military. One of the flags was given to us by an elderly gentleman who lives across the street. My younger son, not knowing the gentleman's military service gave him the grommet since he had asked us to retire the flag for him. Son was gone for quite a long time - seems the neighbor was moved by receiving the grommet and shared some of his history in service to our Country. That's nice I think.