BSA Camp Chaplain Training Program

National Camp Schools are run by the Regions to training scouters who will run various programs at council summer camp.

Because of that, the casual scouter leader isn't able to find out about when NCS are offered or what courses, because, frankly, unless they are going to be part of their council's summer camp program, NCS is not for them. (ie, don't expect to find the NCS schedule and info on the regional websites. you probably won't find them)

So if you are interested in being your council's camp chaplain during summer camp, speak with the professional at your council office responsible for summer camp about this and your desire to attend the NCS training for this position. He or she can then provide you will when/where this training is available.

I believe there is another, shorter, training for those wanting to be chaplain aides at the troop level also.

Chaplaineric:

Standard #37 in the 2008 Camp Visitation Standards answers the question that you posed:

"A full-time or part-time chaplaincy service is provided by a person who is recognized as a qualified clergyman or seminarian by his or her own church body and is 21 years of age or older or an individual who is at least 21 years of age, possesses mature judgment, has a certificate of training from the Chaplaincy Section of National Camping School and is approved by the local council relationships committee/council executive. Their responsibilities would not include specific ordained responsibilities or tasks as the sacraments."

The standard outlines the essential elements of the required approval process. Attendance at National Camping School generally takes place as part of your responsibility in a Boy Scout or Cub Scout camp staff leadership position. Assuming you meet the criteria, your local council camping leadership would help to make arrangements to attend National Camping School.

Good luck with your adventure. I've found my experiences at National Camping School and summer camp staff to be among my scouting highlights.

Best regards,

Ken