Sitting here waiting for Ike to make landfall, it's a very surreal feeling. We have batten down the house. Wind is howling about 30-45 mph and getting stronger. Landfall is estimated around midnight. It will be interesting! We're about 80 miles in land. TV shows that coastal areas are flooded and what used to be the seawall is under the water ... and it hasn't even rained. The water surge is coming!

Wishing all of my fellow scouters and scouts ... safe and dry night! God speeds!

Trying to make the best of it while the power is still on!

The storm has reached 110 mph, 1 mph till Category 3. Where we live, the wind has reached 51 mph wind gust according to the news.

Reliant Energy indicated that 250k folks are out of power. We're fortunate to still have power. We're slightly on the "clean side," but then with a 800 miles wide storm ... is there a clean side?

:)

Cheers

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Sitting here in the dark with my blackberry. We are hunkered down inside the master bedroom bathroom. It is getting really bad out there. The wind pounded the southside of our house. It is loud and my youngest is still sleeping! :). This is only the beginning! We have about 6 hours of this left! The eye just got to Gavelston! Wow.

My prayer for good outcome to all in Houston and surrounding areas!

1hour

Correction, it's Center Point Energy and right now, they have 1.8M folks out of power! It looks as if they won't try to bring power back until Sunday and having other out-of-state help to restore power until Monday.

It has been a long night and it looks as if it will be a long weekend and week!

We are in the eye-wall. Wind is fierce! I am truly a geek! I am blogging while watching battery-operated TV (in stereo)!

:)

Watched the weather channel through most of the night - insomnia again. Huge storm! OneHour - hope you made it through OK. Gotta say though, I'm not sure I could keep my cool and post on the forum in the midst of a hurricane. Wishing the folks in Galveston, Houston and the surrounding areas all the best.

Being on the East coast, been there done that. The people here keep saying "thank God it's not us", but our thoughts and prayers are with you. I have a friend whose elderly mother lives in East Bernard, and she decided not to evacuate, because of the fiasco with Rita. Took her 8 hours to travel from Houston to Austin and she said, "never again". I hope she's still there.

One thing that always impressed me is the the power companies. My FIL worked his entire life for Virginia Power and whenever hurricanes threatened, the caravans of power trucks would head for the affected areas from neighboring states. Wouldn't surprise me if we have trucks headed your way now. I don't think they charge each other for services...but they just chip in and do what needs to be done to restore power for us. After our last hurricane, people were taking them food and drink and stopping just to say "thanks for leaving your families to help us".

Stay safe and post when you can...

Onehour,

My Prayers go out to you, your family and your community. I hope you all weathered the storm O.K. and that life will return to normal as soon as possible for you. I think your explanation of the whole event being surreal is an accurate one.

We live about 5 miles from the coast here in Corpus Christi and had to go thru the process of collecting the valuables we could carry in the car on Tuesday and Wednesday when the storm was projected to hit here in preparation for the evacuation.

Needless to say it was a very emotional experience trying to cram as much stuff as possible into a mini van knowing you may never see your house or the remaining contents again and that your community would forever be changed.

We were spared from this storm but so many of our neighbors have had their lives changed and even lost as a result of this storm. Please keep them all in your prayers and they are going to need it in the next few weeks and months.

YIS

Hey ... thanks for the prayers. Sorry about not able to get back. My blackberry lost the last bar of juice during the peak of the storm! Lost power for the last 3 days. Power finally got back this afternoon. Internet recovered about 1 hour ago. We are more fortunate than others. A lot of devastion in the costal areas. 2.2M folks out of power. As of today, only 500k are back with power. Our house sustained roofing damage and ceiling. Many trees fell in our neighborhood. Cleanup is going to be massive.

I have been through Alicia. I was single. Now, I have a family. It's different!

I will have to say ... scouting helped us tremendously! We have a zillion flashlights and batteries. 2 gas stoves in addition to my gas grill. We have 4 tents ... so leaky roof wss never a worry. Three 5-day coolers helped with the frozen food! We have water coolers to store over 30 gallons of water. We have dry food and backpacking food out of the wazoo! We lived the scout motto!

Even preparation, could ease our nerves when the wind hits 100 mph! The boys loved it and thought it was fun! Youngest slept through it all! It was memorable nevertheless!

Thank you for your concerns. I am hoping that all of the scouts and scouters in Houston faired well.

YIS,

OneHour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Glad that you weathered through ok! I'm been through several and can't say I enjoyed any of them. Ike blew past Kentucky here on Sunday with 70mph sustained and 80+ gusts. 400,000+ without power. We just got power back last night, but there are still 200,000 in the Louisville area without power. I'm glad that it was mostly wind, tree and power here. Prayers to all!

Glad you're OK 1hour. I was at our first weekend of wood badge so was largely uninformed of when/where Ike made landfall. I've looked at some of the pictures of the destruction along the beaches. I strongly suspect that when the Tampa Bay area gets hit, that's the same type of destruction you'll see along our beaches.