So, what is this Adventure Scouts USA organization????

Yah, what a bunch of blather.

Page after page after page of PC buzzwords and fluff, eh?

Nuthin' substantive at all in terms of program.

Nice website template, though, eh? ;)

Funny that it's poppin' up now. Some of da stuff looks like it was written a few years back, but some is pretty recent. I wonder if this means that chap in California won da first round in the suit to strip the BSA of its trademark protection on terms like "Scouting." Anyone remember the plaintiff or which district court that was bein' heard in?

Beavah

Hey, isn't this what Trevorum, Packsaddle and some others were looking for?

If so, these guys have saved them a bunch of trouble. Now, they don't have to try to change BSA into the GSA for Boys: they can just join "Adventure Scouts", the "only fully nondiscriminatory Scout Programs in the United States"!

But hey, what I really liked was their little appendix to their "Scout Code". They follow it with the note that "These are not just nice-sounding words. They have meaning."

They must have read my mind! Imagine, I was thinking just exactly those things, that their words 'have no meaning', and were only 'nice-sounding'. But now, thanks to their helpful note, I won't have to think that anymore!

Of course, I don't know what meaning their words have and they can't say because, my goodness, if they did they'd be discriminating against something or someone -- probably me!

GaHillBilly

Beavah writes:

I wonder if this means that chap in California won da first round in the suit to strip the BSA of its trademark protection on terms like "Scouting." Anyone remember the plaintiff or which district court that was bein' heard in?

The trial is now set for January 26, 2009. Details at:

http://www.youthscouts.org/files/Doc_125_Scheduling_Order.pdf

Kudu

They say they are part of the international Scouting movement, but are they WOSM recognized? I think not.

Also the emphasis seems to be on sports and imaginative games. Not the outdoors and the Grand Game that BP created.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

"They say they are part of the international Scouting movement, but are they WOSM recognized? I think not."

They can't be WOSM recognized. WOSM only recognizes one scout association per country, and we're it.

Yet another group trying to claim they are part of the scouting movement. I saw nothing on their site that gives any indication they understand what scouting is or should be considered part of it.

As someone else pointed out, seems like nothing but a bunch of PC nonsense.

Yah, Character Counts has actually been around for a long time, eh? It's a school-based program that offers character education components. Lots of schools use it in curriculum or in co-curricular ways, especially smaller districts that care about such things, or urban schools tryin' to fight the good fight. See http://www.charactercounts.org

It's da primary competition for LFL, but it's older than LFL and has a larger followin'.

Close as I can tell, AdventureScouts aren't really doin' anything substantive with Character Counts, though.

Beavah

P.S. Thanks for the info, Kudu.(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Emb021:

Not quite true. I have a chart in front of me listing the members of the WOSM as of 2000.

I admit to not fully understanding the differences, but France has six seperate types of "Scoutisme Francais" listed and Denmark has five "Fallesradet for Danmarks Drengespejdere" for instance, and there are several other nations with what seem to be multiple seperate Scout organizations under their flag.

"Not quite true. I have a chart in front of me listing the members of the WOSM as of 2000.

I admit to not fully understanding the differences, but France has six seperate types of "Scoutisme Francais" listed and Denmark has five "Fallesradet for Danmarks Drengespejdere" for instance, and there are several other nations with what seem to be multiple seperate Scout organizations under their flag. "

While France (and a few other countries) have more then one group, WOSM only recognizes ONE. Thus, these different groups must federate together and its the federation that sends reps to WOSM bodies, etc.

When people speak of WOSM & WAGGGS merging together, what is unspoken of is that most likely the new group would follow this same policy: only ONE recognied scout/guide group per country. This would mean that either those countries with more then one scout and guide groups would either have to merge OR federate. So for the US, this would mean the BSA and GSUSA would either have to merge or federate.

Adventure Scouts sounds like Brian Pasternak to me.

Every libertarian who has publicly argued for an American Scouting free market has endured at least one of Brian's surrealistic two hour California phone calls :)

WOSM is an international cartel of would-be Scouting monopolies. Other international Scouting associations include the "Order of World Scouts" which was first founded 11 years before WOSM, see:

http://www.troop97.net/intscout.htm

I don't see much difference between "Adventure Scouts" and the "progressive" ideas that killed the BSA Patrol Method in 1972.

The 1972 BSA program eliminated the Uniform as an official "Method of Scouting," introduced rats and cockroaches as "signs of wildlife" in a liberal advancement scheme that gave out Eagle badges without attending a single campout, and killed William Hillcourt's Patrol Leader Training in favor of the progressive "White Stag" manager theories of Bla H. Bnthy.

We got rid of the rats and cockroaches but not the White Stag infestation :)

Kudu

(This message has been edited by kudu)

Well the group is coed all the way through, there are no uniforms, more emphasis on sports and fun activities, hmmm isn't this what we on this forum have been debating all these years that the BSA had to do to increase our numbers? I agree with other posters that this group seems more fluff than substance, unfortunately that what seems to attract more of todays youth, less structure and more fun. One plus for the parents is that they don't have to hear complaints from their daughters that the boy scouts is more fun than the girl scouts.

We will see if this pans out but it smacks too much of the coed Campfire program, time will tell. By the way to the poster who asked about the term scout being trademarked, the word scout or scouts alone can not be trademarked and can be used freely.