the generosity of strangers

Our guys went on their cave trip to Raccoon Mountain in Tennessee this weekend. While they were at a rest stop having a snack, a trucker approached the Troop and asked who the Scoutmaster was. My husband stepped up and the trucker handed him a $20 bill saying, "I know the price of gas must be hard on the Boy Scouts taking trips, hope this helps."

Wonderful!

I know this is not supposed to be about me, but our troop has seen many such blessings and its kind of fun to remember back on them.

The first year of our troop when money was really tight, we were doing a car wash fundraiser. A guy in a truck pulled up to one of the scouts, handed him $50 and told him he didn't have time to wash the truck, but he wanted to support the scouts.

We are were on our way home from summer camp in Colorado passing through the Texas panhandle. It was kind of late about 8:00 Pm because we spent day doing white water rafting. Our boys were dead tired and not in uniform because of the rafting trip. We decided to stop at a Pizza Hut in a small town before our final four hour push to Oklahoma City. All 40 scouts rushed into Pizza Hut before the adults. By the time I got in there, the SPL and PLs got control of all the scouts and had already asked the manager where the smelling ratty bunch of boys should sit. The manager even found a table for the dozen adults away from the scouts. All went well the rest of the evening, but when we got our bill, the manager paid for over half himself. He said when he saw how the boys listened to the SPL when they came in, he wanted to support the scouts.

Yep, I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

People can be very generous...

at the beginning of the summer I started serving as Committee Chairman for pack that consists mostly of low-income hispanic kids.

I have talked to adult leaders from my troop, friends, teachers, and others about it.

Within the last week I have received two checks for $100 apiece as donations to the Cub Scout Pack.

In April we took a group of scouts to DC. On our way through Pa.we

stopped at a Wendy's. When our line reached the register, the person managing the olace asked who the leaders were. He then asked the scouts to let us come to the front of the line. One of the scouts asked why. His reply was "Since the leaders are taking you on a trip, they eat for free. That was a nice gesture and definetly helped with the budget.

We also had several people stop us on the street and ask if we needed assistance, several of them were active or former scouts. We had employees of the ARC's national HQ stop us and ask us to come to their building if we needed a cool place to rest and offered us water and cold drinks.

Wearing a scout T-shirt or your uniform opens a lot of doors.