Scouts Marrying/Dating Scouts

Neil and Snoring Bear both mentioned daughters dating/marrying Eagle Scouts. My daughter who was active in GS until she moved with college is also engaged to an Eagle Scout. My daughter actually credits her soon to be Eagle (hopefully) brother with her meeting her fiance. He is mgr of Scout Shop in her college town and she went to shop with me and her brother to look for something our local council shop didn't have. She went back to get her brother a birthday present, was remembered by and soon was dating "her" Eagle Scout.

Just curious how many times, having a Scouting family influences a young person to date/marry a fellow Scout.

My wife earned her Gold in GS, and I have my Eagle. I won't say that this had much to do with our marriage, but it certainly was there in the background. Consider it one more check-off on the mental list regarding whether we were right for each other!

It's very common in Venturing for youth members to date... in fact 6 out of the 7 Venturing Silver Award recipients in my council were coupled off at one time.

I dated a girl for 6 years that was a venturing Silver Award recipient and GSA Gold Award member... It was a great common ground for getting started dating. (we were 2 of the 7 Silver Awards)

It didn't last, but it was a good basis for dating in those late high school years. The brother / sister thing happens all of the time that you stated happens quite a bit.

At the risk of taking a very positive thread and turning it a bit negative, there is an element of goofiness which can come with dating Venturers.

Venturers date each other quite commonly. The rub comes that "adults" are not allowed to date "youth." And "adults" are defined as 21 or over -- even one day over -- while "youth" are under 21, even one day under.

There was a story I heard that several years ago that the National Venturing President (male) was dating the National Venturing Secretary (female.) He was 20 and she was 19. Everybody thought it was cute.

Then (shudder) he turned 21 and was now (gasp) an "adult." Due to the exceedingly high profile they had as National Venturing officers, the only acceptable alternatives were:

a) stop dating or

b) one or both of them resign from the National Venturing cabinet and from all Venturing

They chose option b) and she resigned from all Venturing.

On a much more positive note, Brad Haddock, the National OA Chairman, met his wife-to-be when both were being awarded the National Youth in America awards at the National meeting back in the mid '70s.