September 2008 roundable theme

I have been the roundtable Commisionor for the district for 4 1/2 years. I do not know where the time has gone?

This months theme is hiking. I am planning on showing them on how to pack a pack for hiking and giving them places to hike or because I have had mayor knee surgury where to walk.

Any other ideas??

BT

You could also ask some of the experienced attendees to share their knowledge with the others present. This is one of the things I turn to a lot with the various topics I've presented or found presenters for over the past six or so years that I've served as Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner in my district.

Also, do you have an active OA Chapter in your district? You could contact the youth leadership and see if they have a places to go camping/hiking guide for your area (ours does).

You could also have a handout with websites for places to hike in your area rather than just tell them.

"I am planning on showing"

Do you do the showing each month? We used to do it this way until we'd burn out another RT commissioner and tell the truth we'd be glad to see him retire. Then we shook things up and started limiting each one of us to one demo a year. the RTC was happy, the troop leaders were happy and we got lots of new folks involved.

Since your not in hiking shape, find the best hiking SM in your district and ask him to do the demo. You'll get to sit back and learn something too.

Good luck!

I am going to keep this simple, The unit that wnt to Philmont does not come o the roundtable on a regular baasis. Getting them to the rouable has been a problem.

Can a get someone who has hike the AT or part of the AT(Maine to the Delware River Gap). Yew. Also the person whould be me.

When I mean show, There is Presienation each moth.

Finally, Thanks and future thanks.

What our district has done to make Roundtable night a "must-do" for unit serving Scouters is make it one-stop shopping for any unit service need:

- Professional Staff takes back apps, advancement reports, anything which needs to go to the Council Office.

- All Scouting programs (Cub/Boy/Venturing) have their RT same place, same night. That way a multiple registered leader can get whatever info he/she needs.

- Advancement Committee runs Eagle Leadership Service Project reviews.

- OA does chapter meetings.

- Commissioners are encouraged to be there, and to contact their unit leaders to be there!

- Each operating committee of the District Committee has a rep and is supporting their ongoing activities (finance... FOS and popcorn, activities/camping...day camp, camporee, Klondike, Webelos Woods, whatever...)

- Training Committee runs, monthly, NLE and YP. Advancement runs MB Counselor training/certification.

The one thing we do not do is run Eagle BORs. District Guests travel to the units and to the site where the youth wishes to have his Board. Our DAC, with many others, believes EBOR night is special, almost a celebration of the young man and his Scouting career. If a youth wants to have his EBOR on "the Point" overlooking Truman Lake at H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation during the off-season, Guests have and continue to drive 2 hours to support the youth members.

When you make RT a chance for the unit serving Scouter to consolidate several trips into one night, he or she is more willing to devote the night.