Adults without kids in the program?

FScouter said, "Some of the best adult leaders are those WITHOUT a boy in the troop. They don't have a "vested interest" to color their judgment."

I have to concur with this. In some of my old Scouting books it refers to the Troop Committe as being made up of prominent people from the community. That makes sense. People who aren't there to see to it that Johnny makes Eagle but that the program is followed. Being a parent and being a good Scouter are mutually exclusive but it sure seems to be more difficult to find a parent who can serve in a disinterested manner.

Now I'd have to agree with GW on this observation. Been on both sides of the fence and have found that not having a "vested interest" allowed me to focus more on the program. Prior to the birth of my sons, I served as the ASM for Troop 366 at Fort Leavenworth for 2 years. I had no vested interest except to see the program flourish.

Just recently, I transitioned to becoming my pack's Cubmaster. After three years of being my oldest son's Den Leader (Tiger thru Bear) I now relish the phrase "Well, have you asked your Den Leader?" You should have seen the look on my son's face when I first said that to him.

This happens to be a hot topic in our community right now.

My thoughts go both ways on this, BUT, there needs to be an end point for those without boys in the troop. Certainly there is something to say about being objective. However, as the years go on most people lose contact with the current crop of young people. In our case the SM and CC have not had boys in the program for about close to 15-20 years. Neither have grandchildren, and neither have any scouting age youth in the area. They are wholly and completely out of touch with the todays boys AND todays parenting challenges.

They don't even realize the depth and breath of what youth protection means in todays world. They fail to recognize that scouting is competing for boys and that the program has to be exciting in order to keep the boys interested.

So, although having people in the troop that do not have boys in the program can be good (in part because of the experience that it can bring), it can become a HUGE detriment when they fail to realize that their time has passed and need to get out.

Foto

That's one reason why you want to promote refresher courses, and in the case of YPT you take it every two years if I'm not mistaken. Well I've taken it that often since I've been in and out of councils for the past few years due to job and my records aren't always transferring over. YPT is so easy to do online i don't mind.

I suggest leaders taking refresher courses in the form of working staff at training. That way they can impart their invaluable knowledge on new leaders and keep up to date with new policies and procedures.

" They fail to recognize that scouting is competing for boys and that the program has to be exciting in order to keep the boys interested."

I think that this is a problem with most parents involved with units. "I'm here for my kid and I'm bound and determined to make sure that nothing goes wrong!" Exciting? Most parents don't want exciting, they want dull and boring and adult led to keep mistakes from happening. "Johnny needs to make Eagle by 15 and then I'll be gone."

Just how old was BP when he dreamed up this concept????? I think it's time to back off us old guys. There are some of us who are in touch with how today's youth think and are more than willing to add excitement to the program.

As an adult without a kid in the program I have to take the side of the old dudes. Clearly anybody involved in the program is obligated to stay abreast of changes, but do not sneer at these people.

Gold Winger: In your initial post I think you meant to say that "Being a good parent and being a good scouter are NOT mutually exclusive...."

One of the best Scouters I have ever known is a Grandpa of more than 70 years. His observations about youth are timeless. He still serves a Troop Committee.

As for me, I'm now where Eamonn was a year ago... EagleSon has left for college. For me, for now, I've decided on where my Scouting will be... and it will be Scouting, not Kiwanis or Rotary or...

Why? Simple. Good people who care about the next generation. Adult association works for grownups too. The youth get to play the Grand Game, but we sure can help them along their trail.

Hello,

As an ASM and Father, I always let the other adults in the unit deal with my son if it was necessary. Likewise, if my son had an issue, I instructed him to talk to his SPL or when he was SPL, to talk to one of the other adult leaders. I did this to stay objective and let my son have the same experience in Scouts as the other boys even though Dad was there. Did I have a "vested interest"? Yes, because my son was there. At least in the beginning that was the primary reason but as time has gone on, my interest is in seeing the Troop run properly and helping to provide a program where boys can learn and grow in their leadership skills.

I think I'll take exception foto's comment that "as the years go on most people lose contact with the current crop of young people"; since my son has aged out and I am now entering the realm of an older adult. I think you paint with too broad of a brush when you paint all with the same color base on your experience with your local leaders. I think that most who stay around will take care to try to keep up with the boys' culture. And as has been stated, YPT must be done at least every other year (around here every year if you go to summer camp). Anyway, my experience is that adults in the program after their kids have gone on, is good, and they try really hard to stay in touch with the program and the youth culture.

Just my 2 cents...

ASM59

The three greatest Scoutmasters I've ever known were guys without kids in the program. One of them was me, so you can take that with a grain of salt. :) None ever accused of any improper relationships, btw.

As someone who never had a child in the Cub Scout or Boy Scout programs, I am very sympathetic to the "no kids in the program" side.

When people ask me why I'm in Scouting, I say that, in addition to other things, you really find out what it means to be an Eagle Scout when your daugher tells you that whe is dating one (and recently became engaged :)

Another reason that I give is that today's Scouts are the ones who will pay our Social Security.

But the real reason is that I enjoy it and enjoy the adults and youth that I come in contact with. It's fun and rewarding.

I know plenty of "older" leaders who no longer have kids in the program or never did. Many are highly effective. One of the ways that I most judge effectiveness is whether they recruit younger leaders and how much the younger leaders and youth like having them around and want them around.

Here, for example, is a story about an 81 year old leader from our council who just completed a Philmont Trek.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/08/16/guts_and_glory/

fotoscout wrote: "They are wholly and completely out of touch with the todays boys AND todays parenting challenges."

If an older person is involved in a troop, I fail to see how they can become out of touch with today's youth. Being involved n the program where you interact with the youth keeps someone aware of timely youth "issues". I would hazard a guess that a person involved on a District or Council level with limited contact with the youth may lose touch, but on a unit level it has to be nearly impossible.(This message has been edited by Tokala)