Unit rivalry can show up in a variety of ways and it is not all negative. A little healthy friendly competition among units can help all units improve their programs.

Why would anybody refuse den chiefs? This hurts just not the cubs, but the older boys who may want to do this. Try to rise above the competition where appropriate.

Religious intolerance still exists although it is far less a factor than in the past. I recall that many many years ago our local mon signor of the catholic church drove my oldest brother out the roman catholic faith because the mon signor resented the fact that my brother joined a troop sponsored by the local baptist church. Today, all the units our family has affiliated with have a wide spectrum of membership. One reaps what one sows.

Just to clear things up, this is not a religious issue. I think Brian is just using Protestant vs. Catholic as a way to identify which troop or pack he is referring to.

I'm a leader in the "rival" (so-called Protestant) troop, but I have not seen a rivalry from my end. I think it all boils down to failure to communicate between unit leaders.

Brian, you know I would be happy to talk with you about any of these issues.

My troop, which is not actually Protestant, but a mix of religions, (our CO is NOT a church) started helping out with our charter organization's pancake breakfast because the CO asked us to help. This is not a fundraiser for our troop, but a fundraiser for our CO. We do not receive money from helping, but it does count as service hours for the boys. Brian, perhaps your troop can contact our CO to see if it (our CO) is willing to move the date of their pancake breakfast. I can't help you there, since it is not up to my troop to make that decision. I also happen to know many people who go to both pancake breakfasts, and who would go every weekend, if more were offered!

Brian, don't forget that I have sent boys and even a LEADER to your Pack, when I could have tried to talk them into coming to my Pack. At last year's round-up, I even steered a boy from my church to YOUR troop, even though he knew more boys in my troop, and he did join your troop.

Leaders in our troop just started a Venture Crew and they have already said they will be sure the meetings don't conflict with your Troop's meeting night in case any of your boys want to join. I guess I see my troop as being scoutlike and Christian and I am sorry you don't see it.

Brian, you are the only leader that I know in your troop, but I have always told people who ask about your troop, that "I'm sure they are a fine troop." I really don't know much about your troop, but I still talk about them in a Christian, scout-like manner.

It appears that your biggest concern is with the "Protestant" Pack in town. Since their CO is my church, I know many of the Leaders (although this is NOT my former pack). This is only the 1st or 2nd year for the current CM, and he probably did not set up the Round-up last year. So, in keeping with my thinking the best of people, I imagine he didn't realize the unfair advantage he was giving to his Pack by hosting the town's round-up at his church.

At least 2 of the leaders of the "Protestant" Pack already have older sons in my troop, so they are just being honest when they say their boys will be coming to my troop instead of yours. That doesn't mean that the boys who don't have older siblings couldn't be convinced to go to your troop.

In past years, your "Catholic" troop usually got all the boys from both town packs, and my troop only got boys from the outlying areas. A few years ago, a family from my church broke the trend and came from one of the town packs (Protestant one), into my troop, because my family and theirs are friends. You know how kids tend to follow their friends, well, that seems to be what has happened. Since the Webelos leader and son came to my troop, the other boys did, too. Some of them had younger brothers who have also followed them to my troop.

I don't know how to even things out. Like I said, earlier, I actually steered a boy to the other troop last Fall, since I knew we were getting loads of younger brothers and their friends, already. Do we tell boys, "No, you can't join our troop?" because the other troop needs members? I feel all we can do is present the families with information on both troops and let them make their choice. I have already told my former Pack that it's more important that the boys choose a troop that fits them, rather than go to a troop simply because their former leaders are in that troop. I don't want my friends from my old Pack to feel they have to come to my troop, unless that's where they really want to be.

Good Luck, Brian, and remember to keep communications open.