Any Jarheads doing this?

My Scouting experience is :

Two brothers who were pulled by my parents after the SM had an alcohol+driving moment which meant I didn't get to join either. Reading the '72 or '76 Handbook (I'm not sure which it had a green cover and a Scout hiking on it)about a thousand times. And the Last 30 days when my Boy said "Hey, I want to join this troop".

My Leadership experience: (without belaboring the point by going thru the whole thing) includes 21+ years leading or being led by Marines.

Joined within last 30 days, Currently ASM (#2 of 2); Trying to get to Adult Leader Training. CPR and First Aid certified, Safety afloat Safe Swim Defense Troop committee Challenge and Fast Start: Boy Scouting completed. One 2 night campout and a Flag Retirement complete.

Gy,

I am not a jarhead, but I work with them daily. Welcome. I know your leadership will be an asset.

Just remember.. they are Boy Scouts not Marines.

Let them lead. Let them plan. And as bad as we hate to, let them fail. It is amazing what you learn on a wet weekend, because you didn't get your tent up right.

Have fun and again welcome..

Oh yeah, if you ever come to MCLB, look me up. We have lots of scouting opportunities here in SWGA.

HERE, Gunny!

Gunny this Scouting stuff is easy.

When you set up in a new area follow 4 easy steps:

Put out your security. Immediately!

Lay in your automatic weapons, then everybody else. Make sure the Scouts put their eyes on the ground when they map out dead space beyond their holes. be sure you can cover the dead space with indirect fire weapons.

Clear brush and veg back to the max range of your weapons

Entrenchment and obstacles. Dig em' deep and don't forget the grenade sump.

Us SNCO's(still no civilian opportunities) have to stick together.

The major difference between the "Corps and Scouting is that the Scouts have adult supervision. (i've always loved that joke no matter what rank I held.)

Hey Gunny,

While not technically a Jarhead I am a former FMF Corpsman who served exclusive with the Corps from 1981-1994. Now I'm a LT with a career Fire Dept in NY.

I am an Eagle Scout (Class of '80), Vigil Honor OA (Past Lodge Chief), former ASM.

Last fall the local council held an "Eagle Scout Reunion" of all Eagles who either earned the award in the area or earned it elsewhere and moved into the area. There were more than 400 Eagles in attendance. I ran into the Scoutmaster of my old troop and he "gently" reminded me that the program could always use leaders. So after a bit of shift swapping at work I managed to get meting nights off. I help out where I can and as the rotating shifts allow.

Leadership is leadership whether it's recruits or scouts.

Semper Fi

Doc(This message has been edited by Docf225)

Scouter&mom,

your concern is appropriate and appreciated but I think I may have the (no offense to anyone)best SM to train under ever. He is aware of my proclivities and keeps a tight rein and only loosens it when he sees that I have picked up the appropriate lessons about letting the boys fail and fixit.

uz2bnowl, who controls the Arty around here anyway?

That IS a great joke - except it's true right?

Docf225, Gawd I love Corpsmen! The only ones on the field who care about Marines more than the mission - and used to be the only ones who ran toward impacting fires w/o a weapon.

'84 MACG-18, '85 ELMACO CAMLEJ,'87 MSSG 22/24, back to ELMACO, '88 MACG-38,'89 MCCES 29Palms, CSSD-12 1st FSSG, '91-'97Joint Communications Support Element (JCSE) MacDill AFB, '98-2005 24th Marines KCMO.

....Docf225, Gawd I love Corpsmen! The only ones on the field who care about Marines more than the mission - and used to be the only ones who ran toward impacting fires w/o a weapon...

I used to have to remind new LT's that they were MY Marines not his.

Now I get paid to run into Burning Buildings - same job; better pay.

Semper Fi Brother

Doc

Jeez, what a love-fest! I am a Navy civilian, prev med and safety type....and a WWII submariner's brat. My dad always used to say, "you think bubbleheads are bad, them jarheads is crazy, but I sure am glad we got 'em".

Ditto and Semper Fi. "Corpsman up!"

PS: We are losing more Marines to motorcycles than we do to enemy fire. "Safety first, Mission always!"

At ease!

I was never a jarhead, not have I stayed in a Holiday Inn recently. I was a conehead- a somewhat pejorative term for a nuclear missile technician in the US Army.

Your green "Scout Handbook" (that was the proper title at the time) was the handbook that introduced the Improved Scouting Program in 1972. I still have mine.

I started Scouting here in Virginia. I was an assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster through my military career in Germany, Alabama, Florida, Alabama, Germany and Texas. I'm back home in Virgina and am currently an assistant Scoutmaster and an Advisor.

Scouting while in the Army was a blast. Doing my Ordeal in Switzerland was a blast. The only Scouter around here with better stories than mine is a guy who was in the Hitler Youth before his family lit out for the US.

Welcome, Gunny :)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away (aka the Cold War), I was not a Jarhead, but a Redleg.

All Redlegs, Army and Marine, train at the Comanche County Cannon Cocker College, AKA MCB Lawton, OK, AKA Fortress BY GOD Sill.

When I taught, my Department Director was Col John Todd. My Career Course Tactics instructor was Maj Okland. Then Capt Ed Lesnowicz was my section leader during the Career Course (I think he finished up a Colonel), and then Capt Mike Boone was my Class Leader (but he was in our section)... I think he also ended up a Colonel.

We had an Israeli LTC and a Swiss MAJ in our section as well. Take the course? HAH. They could have taught it all by themselves. They were guests of US Government, learning our schooling methodology.

We were a tight-knit section. The rest of the course had to eke together a flag football team, we had our whole section turn out for every game! Our parties (the official discouragement of alcohol hadn't hit full stride yet) were epic.

Thanks for doing what you do and what you've done. Enjoy making new friends as your Scouting life progresses :)

Well, no military service here so I'm feeling left out. However, I've spent the last 25 years as a grunt in the MIC providing and supporting quality equipment used by Navy, Marine, and Air Force pilots. I have found that the servicemen (apologies to the ladies) and officers in the squadrons I've associated with to be nothing but deeply committed professionals. Hopefully, they've provided gunny with adequate air support when needed.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

John-in-KC, Cannon Cockers - Bringing dignity to what would otherwise just be a brawl.

MarkS, The only things I've ever found in short supply is: ammo when theres plenty of targets, targets when theres plenty of ammo, and chow. I no longer worry about the first two - or at least use other ammo in the academic community :) , and anyone who has seen me lately will know that I have found the chow line...( yeah, I Know ... I'm working on it.) (On my honor...physically strong...)

I gotta say those on the pointy end do in fact appreciate people who supply things that work all the time, every time. Or that at least have the good manners to fail their LTI's(Limited Technical Inspections) before they are hauled out to the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to have you aboard Gunny. I was raised in a scout troop run by a retired Gunny. We never went totally Scarlet & Gold but we were instilled with accute sense of Duty to Country. After being awarded my Eagle I joined the Navy, with apologies to my Scoutmaster,as a Submariner where I kept the Soviets under control and observation and never let a bunk go unused. For kicks after Active Duty, I saw how the other half lived on the "Green" side of the nav as an FMF RP (Chaplain's Asst.). For the uninitiated, its like being a deacon with an automatic weapon. When I went through the minimized version of MCT, I quickly partnered with a Chaplain who also had his Eagle. No hassles in land navigation that way. I fully enjoyed the culture of the Corps and wonder why I didn't simply enlist the first time.

Welcome into the fold. You'll love teaching these boys skills for life. Just don't run afoul of the Uniform Police or the Commissars (sic) or take either of them too seriously. Run things like a relaxed Noncomm and you'll be happy.

I run into plenty of scout units from the Ft. Bragg area and their leaders are usually on AD and very relaxed in the field.

Thanks Flyingfish,

It's good to be aboard.

I worked at JCSE with a couple of Bubbleheads, they were forever trying to park the HF systems on the side of a hill to recall their angle and dangle days.

Imagine though, a Bubblehead who knows MRE cooking skills....

Thanks for checking in!