Any Jarheads doing this?

Gunny,

Good afternoon. I am the CM with the pack on the Navy base in Dahlgren (Active Duty PO1) and my dad was a Gunny in Nam. If you ever need anything regarding how things work when on a military installation, please let me know. I have been in this pack for 2 years now. One benefit of 95% of our boys being in military families is that the dad''s have a variety of experience in topics to teach the boys. Along with that being on the base somewhat isolates us from those in town, but we have a very good internal support network.

YIS,

Rob Ehrhart

Cub Master Pack 172

NC1 USN

Gunny,

Not a jarhead, but worked and trained with them in the Nam(MACV I Corp VAP 61 Igloo White/Red Watch)

Good to have you in the program, and lots of great opportunities and adventures in Scouting just ahead for you. Starting off as an ASM is a great way to learn the ropes. Other areas are District and Council positions that could use your leadership skills. And, if you''ve got the time, consider a camp staff position.

After retiring from the Nav I started like you as an ASM with a small rural troop that eventually folded. In a way, it turned out to be a blessing, allowing me to try different areas in Scouting at the District and Council level. My niche is high adventure, and developing high adventure programs at the Council level.

What I''ve learned over the years in scouting is to have fun, be flexible, and knowing when to ask for help....

Thanks le Voyageur for your service and your comments. However to update the saga - our CC the troop founder has stepped down, the SM stepped up and I have a new billet, can you guess who''s wearing the hat now?

We haven''t done a formal ceremony but the former CC kind of sprang it on us. We are already doing the new jobs and wearing the new patches but will do a investiture for me and the new CC and a thank you for the outgoing SM at the next CoH. The troop founder has unfortunately, strongly, indicated that he will not have a part in a thank you to him for his time with the troop. Thinks his Scouting awards are enough.

BTW, I am Retired Reserve so no check until 65, still working 40-50hrs and working on my B.S. in addition to the one hour a week... :)