The just for fun "A Scouter is Thrifty" Poll.

"*This topic belongs in the uniform forum. "

Why?

The discussion is about being thrifty not the uniform.

But "Feedback is a gift" I did give some thought about moving it and decided not too.

Eamonn.

(Barry socks are in there if you so desire.)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was in need of another uniform for myself I would purchase the new model. However if I were just needing socks and the old style were at a 10% discount I'd likely buy old.

If my son, who is still growing, needed or possibly even when he needs a new one I would buy a new unless I culd get the old for 25% off. Only after checking my son's troop's uniform bank and the local thrift stores. Since I just bought him a new shirt last Christmas I'm hoping I will not have to get him another for at least a year.

The old would have to be just about free to get me to look at them over the new. I just bought the new supplex nylon shirt - I think I am going to like it a lot here in the humid south. It is a heavier material than the Action shirt, so it should hold the badges and patches ok, but hopefully not so heavy as to be hot.

I wouldn't buy the old socks for anything (talking about the old cotton, except for the knee-highs). The new socks are a blend that should be good for camping and hiking. All of our old cotton socks are going in the rag bag!

The new belt and buckle are such an improvement over the old, there simply isn't any comparison!

This is not a rhetorical question for me. It may have been a national sale, but I know for a fact that our local scout shop had switchback pants on sale for 50% off a few months ago. I knew that the new uniform was just around the corner, not sure if most others did however. Anyway, I bought myself and my second son a new pair.

FWIW, on this weekends outing, the first Scout in our troop showed up in the new uniform.

Sigh, I bought two more shirts and another pair of shorts to be on WB staff this year. So I'll have to stick with the old uniform. Especially since DH complains that I don't buy enough regular clothes at any price (I really hate to shop).

I really like the canvas shorts though and the feel of the supplex shirt. Also like the socks.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

I have a lot of the "Old" uniforms.

I think if I were to buy the new style, I'd be tempted to start wearing it all the time.

What the heck do you do with 26 (I counted them yesterday) uniform shirts if you stop wearing them?

A few of the older shirts seem to have lost their shape around the collar.

However since HWMBO has been sick I started using a shirt service. I have them use medium starch, this seems to fix that problem.

I really don't need any new uniforms.

HWMBO would be overjoyed if I got rid of a few and made room for what? I don't know.

I think if I found uniforms on sale at 75% off I might find it hard to pass up.

I'm really not in any rush to go out and buy any uniforms, no matter what style they are.

Kinda sad that a couple of people are saying that they are thinking of moving on.

I of course wish them well.

But the other day someone said Scouting was like the "Hotel California" you can check out but never leave.

Eamonn.

I'm buyin' the new-and-current. One set of each of da fabrics. Just seems like what I should be doin' as a commish to be an example to the units and to introduce 'em to the new stuff. Also to help 'em figure out how to deal with any issues like the pockets :).

I have to admit I like the notion of bein' able to wear the uniform outdoors for real. I agree that I'd like to see ankle zips come back so the legs are easy to switch out without takin' off shoes or boots, but that they should be long enough zips to let us folks with big feet take 'em off over boots. Old ones weren't. I might bribe Mrs. Beavah to sew in some zips on the new ones for me :).

Anyway, to me bein' thrifty means payin' for good, versatile gear that lasts and can be used well. Not just goin' cheap.

B

Since I have selected to serve on my Council's Committee, I guess I will have to shell out the $$$ for a new uniform, with the prerequisite 2009 FOS CSP.

Gwd, ever thought about going the "custom-made" option from ScoutStuff.org. I probably will, since I personally don't like the pocket on the sleeve, and a few other features on the uniform. Like the material, though.

Probably get a few shirts when I go to Jambo 2010.

Wow, I've got 4 uniforms now and will have to "update" as I'm one of our councils Jamboree Scoutmasters. I'll need at least two for the Jamboree. Why can't one of our choices be getting a discount on the new uniforms? One can hope.

My first name is Scott. When I made Eagle 20 years back, my mother rewrote the Scout Law as the "Scott Law" as part of her recommendation letter for me. My scoutmaster found it so humorous, that he read it at my Eagle Court of Honor.

"A Scott is Thrifty...no SCRATCH THAT! A Scott is CHEAP!"

And I still am today and I still fit in my uniform from 20 years back, so you won't see me in the new one unless they REQUIRE it and trust me, in these parts, many of the scouts are poor so there will be an uproar if that happens.

As such, I don't need to buy either a discounted, soon-to-be old uniform, nor do I need to go spend hard earned cash on a new one.

Only iffn they had the all cotton in my size would I buy another de-Renta, of my four shirts its the one I pick for comfortable wear.

Now if they found some green v-necks new-in-box from the 70s in my size.............but thats one big pipe dream. Iffn it fits well I will buy the new-new uniform shirt, but unless I have to I wont be buying the pants for a while, my Switchbacks are just 20 months old. Will take a good hard look at the new belt and a couple of the new ballcaps are a given. Gonna call ahead though, shop might not have the new stuff yet or sold out of what I want, 90 miles driven to come home empty handed is not Thrifty.