The just for fun "A Scouter is Thrifty" Poll.

Lets pretend...

You are in the market for a new complete uniform.

You arrive at the local Scout Shop.

They are selling off the not new uniform.

Do you:

1/ Buy the new uniform.

If so why?

2/ Save the money and buy the older style uniform?

What percentage would entice you to buy this one (10%? 25%? 75%?)

This is just for fun.

Everyone is of course free to spend their hard earned cash as they like..

Eamonn.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm going to buy an "old" version uniform I'd probably first look on ebay and see the best price I could get. In the scout shop it would have to be 40% off or more.

If we wanted the new one I'd try to get as many people in the troop together and see if we could get a quantity discount on the new one.

As a consumer if I had a choice the soon to be old uniformn would need to be at least 40% off for me to consider bying it.

At 25% off the difference between the new and the soon to be old is less than $20. That wouldn't be a big enough savings for me to go with the soon to be old one.

(thats based on a shirt, pants, socks, and belt)

I saw the new uniform at Roundtable last night. I like it a lot, especially the fabric and style of the new pants. Husband and I have both lost a lot of weight this year and need new better fitting uniforms and have been waiting until the new uniforms were available. Will have to try it on - still a bit leary about how the bellows pockets on the shirt will look on a female. I am more thrifty than my husband and rarely buy anything unless it's 50% off or more, but in this case I think I'll buy the new uniform for us both.

gwd,

Have already heard of at least one Professional having his bellows pockets over-sewn shut on a "business" uniform.

Back in the days of Battle Dress Uniform in the Army, I knew troops who did that as well.

Bellows pockets are a great idea... until you ruck up or buddy up and set your backpack. Then, rather often, guess what rides on the pocket? Yep, your pack straps.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

At my age and with all the uniforms I have, I don't think I'll ever be in a position to have to buy the new one unless I'm picked for 2010 Jamboree, then I'll buy the new ones because I have to. I'll mark it up as part of the cost of the trip. At least I'll get 12 days of wear out of it before I sell it and get some of the cost of the trip back.

Stosh

I wouldn't touch the old uniform. Not even for free. Sometime between now and the end of the year I will retire my current uniform and switch to the new.

*This topic belongs in the uniform forum.

I like to think I'm thrifty. Most of the uniforms I and my son have were bought on ebay for significantly below ScoutShop prices. But I really dislike the older shirt and pants and would be happy to have the new one. So I'll probably buy the new uniform but like gwd, it depends on how those shirt pockets look on the model (me)! I like the idea of just sewing them flat and may opt for that, depending.

The real question is my son. He has a pair of the first generation zip off pants and likes them so much he wears them to school, out and about, everywhere (including scouts). He has gotten $40 worth of use out of those for sure. He hates the old shirt for what he calls its "dork factor" so he'll probably want the new one. Timing isn't so bad on that because he's almost ready for a larger shirt anyway. I'm hoping to hold off on buying the newest pants, socks, etc. for him until he outgrows his current pants though.

NOT buying any more parts of the old uniform(except possibly switchback trousers) unless DEEP, DEEP discounts are applied(75% or better.

Am not especially enamored of the new edition switchbacks, I think they should have retained the zipper at the bottom. But when it's time I'll be buying them - I just hope there is another generation of them that comes back with that zipper.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

I like the zipper idea on the bottom of the switchbacks, but it didn't work well for hubby or myself. Hubby needed a longer length and the two lengths in womens were short or really long. For a really good discount 50% or more I would consider another pair of the old pants unless the new ones fit better. Neither of us will need a shirt for a while.

i am in the market for a completely new uniform. the last one i wore was 100 pounds ago - hehe.

i will go to the local scout store and look at what is there. If they have the old one, it fits right, and is discounted -- i'll buy it. if the new one is there and it fits -- i'll consider buying it instead of the older one. as my wife likes to point out, i get value out of all my clothes and shoes. i'll wear it until there is a publicly visible hole. :^O