Boy Scouts prepared to launch marketing campaign to connect with digital-era youth

Well Pack212Scouter,

Did the BSA lose 50% when they demanded that units not maintain racial segregation in the 70s?

Did they lose 50% when they allowed women to serve as leaders in the 80s?

Did they lose 50% when they formed a co-ed division called Venturing in the 90s?

Did they lose 50% when they formed a division called Learning for Life that didn't require the DRP or anti-homosexual barriers?

All of these changes occured because society changed, and BSA adapted.

The times, they are a changin. I think that's what Mr. Mazzuca is refering to. If BSA doesn't evolve both technically and socially, it will die off.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its good for BSA to join the 21st century.

As for BSA changing its membership policies, I still haven't heard a good explanation for why Scouts Canada, who have a more inclusive membership policy than BSA, suffers greater membership losses (%-wise) than BSA.

Can someone explain that one to me?

I'm very grateful at the new emphasis on marketing BSA. Long needed. I'm not so sure the values campaigning reaches across the spectrum, but it DOES hit certain constituencies desperate for this.

I'm extremely hesitant about the digital rush. It's been empirically shown that reading comprehension dives when people read from the computer screen, rather than print. I also think print is just so much more handier. It's worth the trouble.

In a way, it's a mistake to do such a shift to the computer. It sends a message that books aren't important, but instead, just news-snack on the internet.

This has been a very nice summer. When friends ask why others aren't outside, I just say, "there's a lot of really good TV on".

John-in-KC, you cheer the fact that the annual Requirements book has been placed online so you don't have to buy it every year. I submit that going online has is drawbacks beyond those already mentioned, such as lack of access in rural areas.

The first thing that comes to mind is loss of history and context. While what is "out there" right now might be current and accurate, there is usually no way of looking back at preceding documents. For example, I found out this summer that one of our camps was planning to teach Citizenship in the World MB as part of its Trail to Eagle program using the requirements originally published in 1996 and revised up to 2005. However, the requirements CHANGED in 2006. (This came to light when one of my scouts called me because his prerequisites for camp didn't match his new MB pamphlet.) I figured out what was happening only because I could look back through my purchased copies of the Requirements book going back several years. Had I just looked online, I would not have known this, and the camp would have "taught" invalid MB subject matter. (On scouting.org there is no way to look at earlier requirements, nor is the effective revision date on the site.)

Oh, sure, I could have printed my own copy. But with the cost of printer ink and paper - and time - it would amount to more than the cheap cost of the purchased book. And since I don't have my own bindery, it would be either stapled pages to lose in a pile somewhere, or I'd have to punch it to put in yet another binder.

Or I could just purchase the book from the scout shop in a nice small size, on sturdy paper, with an instantly-recognizable cover, and bound so that it all stays together neatly.

Online does not necessarily mean better, IMO. I hope national is not short-sighted enough to try to put everything possible online to the exclusion of printed "bin" materials.

"Why? My son's troop is pretty tech-savvy but the troop web-site is largely ignored. It's up to date, slick, cool, and all that but no one goes there for information"

Maybe I am in the minority but when we were looking at Troops to visit as Webelos we found it difficult to learn about the Units that were not on the Web This was important for our research. The Troop my son chose has a great website and information that was very valuable. The calendar function alone was key for our family. Busy families today need this as a resource. People will use your site if you given them a reason to do so and provide information that is of value. The web and e-mail are also the best way to get out information quickly to a large number of poeple.

Have to agree with GW on this. We have a website, and half the members have never visited it, even though it has calendar, notices, congratulations, historical data, and tons of photos. Do not know how many times a scout or parent has told me they did not know such and such; asked why they did not look at the web site, they just shrugged and said it took too much time. Many seldom read emails either, then complain that they were not contacted. But they do not answer the phone or return calls either. Much has to do with simply the way they live. Whatever is in front of them at the moment is what is important and gets their attention.

The key really I think is to communicate from every angle. I always communicate up front the information will be sent through e-mail and ask if that is a problem. Those very few who are not online let me know and those folks get a call. Our Troop is too big (50+) to spend time communicating individually. The youth are online and that is not the wave of the future but the reality of the present. I hope that the marketing will be effective to get the word out. I sign in the front stating "Troop ### Meets here Monday" is very unlikely to get someone in the door.

• 1 month later...

I like the prospect of the on-line social networking presence. Even though Im old now, I have kept up on what the youth are doing. I have been to yearly Youth Ministry conventions that highlight changes in youth culture and the simple fact is that on-line is where most of them are for their social networking. Even the 20-somethings are on-line. It is absolutely amazing to hear about the dollars that organizations like M-TV are spending to research our youth culture in this country and around the world so they can understand their culture. Their budget for this is nearly unimaginable.

I think as far as connecting with the youth and giving the BSA some legitimacy for some youth this is great. The move in this direction could be positive. I must be handled properly though and must happen in such a way that we dont ruin the positives that the program has going for it now.

ASM59

Ditto ASM59!

My boys spend an incredible amount of time on Facebook. My son has a cool link on his Facebook page to an Order of the Arrow video someone posted on YouTube (it's called "iSash"). I insist that my kids keep me as a "friend" on Facebook so I can keep track of who their friends are (and I've even asked them to take down certain content I felt was questionable or could be misinterpreted).

Most of my career has been in the computer and Internet industry, so I realize I'm a little different from most parents and Scouters, but I really don't know any more effective way to keep in touch with what Youth are doing other than to dive in and be where they are -- and that's on the Internet!!

-Liz

• 2 weeks later...

The National website has a new "reconnect to scouting" section where for the 100th Anniversary you can input your scouting history where it is posted and then try to connect with former friends that were in your troop or pack. Also on the national site they have a video of Mazzuca talking about the anniversary and future of scouting to a group of professional district executives which is kind of eye opening.

The "Reconnect" site seems like an attempt to recruit more volunteers and raise money - kind of like my college alumni association, come to think of it.

The site is awful. It limits you to 250 characters, but doesn't provide a counter. And of the five links on the top, three are about donating money.