Youth Patriotism Awards

Hello everyone.. and have a safe Patriot's Day.

The Youth Patriotism Awards program officially starts TODAY.

Please take a moment to read thru the requirements and hopefully find ways to incorporate the program in scouting, schools, youth groups, and whatever else youth are doing. We really need to make a larger effort to promote patriotism and constructive involvement in this country.

http://www.youthpatriotism.org

Thank you all for your time and attention.

Bkale,

Congratulations on the launch of your program. It looks very educational and a lot of fun for the kids. And it's a great service you have provided to develop and administer this program.

I was looking through the electives for the Heritage award, and this one caught my eye:

"Attend a period re-enactment. Describe how your life would be different if you lived during that time."

Seeing as I do *medieval* period re-creation/re-enactment (and know people who do Civil War re-enactment... the English Civil War), you might want to be more specific about what "period" you are looking for. I'm assuming you want something from American history.

My suggestion would be to change the wording to something like: "Attend a historically accurate re-enactment from a period in American history (i.e. colonial, revolutionary war, civil war). Describe how your life would be different if you lived during that time."

Kudos to you for creating this.

DanKroh.. that is a GREAT point. I was so totally in the mindset of American History that I did not think outside of that box. It probably didn't help that I was a Civil War re-enactor for over 12 years and think in those kind of terms.

I will make changes to the requirements and repost them in the next day or so.

Thank you so much for reviewing the program for me and for your kind words.

YIS,

Brian

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post with an update on the Youth Patriotism Award Program.

The program is fully up and running. All four medals have been finalized and I have received over 100 of each from the manufacturer. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality and how closely they copied my vision and drawings.

I have had well over 200 email inquiries about the program from all over the US and over 13,000 hits to the web site in the last 3 months. I have had a District in Charlotte, NC use the program for a Webel-o-ree and 110 boys took part in the program.

I have had inquires from schools, clubs, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, and other people that are interested in US Patriotism.

Thanks to all on the forum that have given me input and encouragement. I can't wait to see how this program goes from here.

www.youthpatriotism.org

I love this program, but am wondering if it is approved by BSA or GSUSA? I'm involved with both and would like to take this to them, but if it's not approved then the scouts would not be allowed to wear their medals on their uniforms.

Looks GREAT!!!! My son can hardly wait to start working on his. My middle daughter is in American Heritage Girls and we are inquiring if they will recognize the award as well.

Thank you so much for your hard work and all the hours and hours and hours you have dedicated to this.

God bless!

• 2 weeks later...

I have actually had several correspondence with Ms. Garibay (founder of American Heritage Girls) and have discussed the Youth Patriotism Awards at length. The Ameican Heritage Girls are adopting the YPA for an award in their program.

Thank you so much for you interest.