With the large number of veterans active in Scouting today, and the large number of injured veterans returning from tours overseas, do you think that possible the requirements of Citizenship in the Nation should be amended or modified to include the role of the veteran in society?

In what way would you propose they be included?

Should a requirement to research the service of one member of the Patrol, Troop, District or Council be included? It would be a way to generate a Military service and the Troop section for your Troop history.

It sounds interesting but what do you have in mind?

They could also investigate helping on one interview for the Veterans history project, http://www.loc.gov/vets/

That'd be good, the Guard rarely get's its due recognition.

Even just a short essay 1-2 pages could enlighten Scouts on how much many Guards and Reservists put on hold to take care of even natural disaster items like Hurricane Katrina, etc.

I showed this thread to a friend who served in the National Guard for 4 years. He said it sounds like a good idea. He went on to say there seems to be a lack of appreciation of what these people do for us and a lack of understanding of what many of them go through.

I thought others might like to see his comments... anyway just some wacky 2 cents...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

One young man in my Troop, a few years back, did the Veteran's Oral History program for the WWII vets in our chartered Partner, a VFW Post. It was his ELSP. The youth of the Troop (and on occasion adults) conducted the interviews. Other kids worked camcorders. The data was dropped to 3 CDs, one for the veteran, one for LOC, and one for the VFW post.

One of the best non-brick and mortar ELSPs I've ever seen.

I like the idea. Sounds like you are good with your intentions. But I know when I went through scouts, there was no war going on and finding someone might be difficult.

Just so that everyone has correct information. The national guard is not only serving here in the US during disasters and locally with civil duties. The majority of the forces (especially Army) in the middle east, are guardsmen and reservists. So the guard is all over to include combat operations.

Just thought I would chime in on that

SctDad,

Good point and one I would like the Scouts to encounter while doing this project If it were to become a requirement. The Guard and Reserve service is in no way "lesser" any more - if it ever was.

Our local Guard outfit is deployed about at about a 60% rate.

Our local USMC Reserve unit is deploying at about a 70% rate.

Having spent a few years on the Reserve side that kind of deployment ratio pretty much kills your career (if you have one) outside of the military except for in a very few, very fortunate situations.

"Just so that everyone has correct information. The national guard is not only serving here in the US during disasters and locally with civil duties. The majority of the forces (especially Army) in the middle east, are guardsmen and reservists. So the guard is all over to include combat operations."

Correct. As a suggestion, I only emphasized the civil side such as the National Guard as BSA tries to maintain neutral stance on the issue of military endorsement. As some people perceive Scouts as one step shy of paramilitary, I wouldn't advocate a requirement change that would be overtly seen as a recruitment endorsement. As a veteran myself, I think all of our youth should be made aware of the hardships and sacrifice made by military personel, in peacetime as well as war. But I know others who might feel quite differently on the matter. Must Scouts are probably unaware that many resident aliens enlist in order to qualify for citizenship. Some have died for our country before becoming citizens.

One of our scouts just recently did his ESLP for a VA hospital. Turned out great.

Along with writing their senator, a scout could interview a current or former member of the armed forces. Then present the interview to his troop or patrol.