who can actually go on scouting activities

curious about scouting activites. If the scouts are going on a campout with the correct number of registered adult leaders, and some adults that are involved with the C.O (a church) have asked to go along, do they have to be registered members of the BSA as well? I was just curious.

Here is my recommendation at the following address if you look at the very bottom of the page you can send an email to the directors of Risk management and Health and Safety departments for their official answer.

BUT let me ask you this. What risks or benefits do you see in having unregistered adults who are unrelated to anyone else in the unit attend an overnight campout with other peoples children?

You do not always need a policy in order to make a good decision.

I understand your answer, but these are friends that I have had for years. Not just aquaintences, but best of friends. There would be no problem to have them register, but as I said, I was just curious.

"What risks or benefits do you see in having unregistered adults who are unrelated to anyone else in the unit attend an overnight campout with other peoples children?"

Maybe they want to see how their youth program is being implemented. Maybe they are experts on foraging for food and want to pass their knowledge along. Maybe they want to see what goes on so they can decide if they want to get involved. What does it really matter? The question was "may they go without being registered?"

Must be a secret address.

For a prorated amount on BSA registration, I'd just sign them up. As long as they all pass background checks, no big deal. Being a church group, even I had to get a background check to take the church's youth on a mission trip so it works both ways. Having them registered will also encourage them to get involved with the unit later on or if everyone had fun, maybe turn the youth group into a Venturing Crew. Lots of options for a lot of people.

Go for it.

I didn't see the secret location either. It's so secret no one can find it. But alas, even if I did find it, with my luck I wouldn't know the secret password, nor the secret handshake either.

Stosh

I'll admit to not wanting to do much else other than scout type activities when I was away with the Troop.

A good friend of mine back home in England, was the Scout Leader of the 21st Fulham.

The Scout Group (Pack and Troop) was very much a family affair. His Mother-in-law was Cub Scout Leader, Father-in-law was Group Scout Leader, Brother-in-law was Assistant Scout Leader.

When they went to camp it seemed that everyone went! It wasn't unusual to see very young children, friends and relatives.

This was never my cup of tea, but it seemed to work for them.

All were deeply involved in the Church where the Troop met and the Pack and Troop had a comfortable homely feel to it.

I think it's a matter of "Different courses for different horses".

Eamonn.

I would think, being members of the CO, they could force you to let them go anyway, but also being members of the CO you should be more than happy to let them attend a camping trip, not many troops, I have seen (just cuz I'm a youth doesn't mean that's not a lot either) have basically no relationship with their CO other than maybe a place for meetings. Having them see the program, and possibly become scouters would be beneficial to the troop, you might get more "benefits" and isn't it nicer knowing your CO likes you instead of not knowing you exist or even hating you? I say, if they seem trustworthy let em go with you once, during or shortly after the camping trip maybe asking them to join the committee, as a possible ASM or even just committee members.

Our situation is even closer aligned with the unit/CO relationship than most churches. Most of the adult members of the unit are members of the CO as well. When we go on events, the CO members often times stand in as chaperones for our youth. Very seldom does either organization operate separately from each other, but on occasion do. As a matter of fact currently I am both CA and IH. The CC and IR are both members of the CO. So there are units out there that are quite close with their CO's.

Stosh

Register them. If it's an overnight campout, I'd also recommend that you have them take Youth Protection Training online or at least tell them about the relevant sections about two-deep leadership, scouts not being in tent of adult other than parent, etc.

This is getting out of hand. The adults attending Scouting events should be only the ones needed to carry out the Scout event. Do a "family" camp once or twice a year. The rest of the time limit participation to Scouts, and 2 or 3 adults. Or better yet, how about sending each patrol off by themselves with NO adults.