who can actually go on scouting activities

Unless the scouts are doing their activity on private property, there is no way to keep others out.

Some of the activities my scouts participate involve thousands of others from CO members to total strangers. I use my CO members to augment my adult support for my scouts at these events. They are filled in on the basics and my scouts know and understand the issues at hand. It has worked out very well over the years. A lot of it has to do with how well the unit and CO get along. Our two entities work hand-in-hand.

Stosh

The simple answer is "Yes". There is nothing in the policies and procedures of the Boy Scouts of America that prevents unregistered adults from attending a camping trip. You, and your fellow leaders, simply have to ensure that Youth Protection Guidelines are followed at all times.

I'd be welcoming the CO on a trip - it could lead to even better relations, and great internal PR (can you see the conversations later on? "Hey Jim (the IH) - I went camping with the lads from the Troop we sponsor, and boy, were they an impressive group of young lads, but I noticed that their tents are starting to get a bit worn - is there something we, as the sponsor, can do to help this great bunch of lads out?").

However, my caveats are:

* What does the PLC say about this? Have you asked them if it's ok to invite these people who may be strangers to them? And if it is, have you worked with them to make sure the weekend is a smashing hit?

* I'd ask the folks coming along to sign on to the BSA website and take the Online Youth Protection training. It will just take a few minutes of their time, and will go a long way towards alleviating any parental concerns that might pop up. You don't have to be a member of the BSA to take the training, though you do have to create a log-in account.

So, to summarize - Go for it!!

Calico(This message has been edited by CalicoPenn)

"Simply being a member of the CO does not give you permission to go on an overnight activity with other peoples children. Let's use a little common sense here. "

Oh my God! They might meet and chat with a relative stranger. Horrors!

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

My opinion...

I have seen similar and small request to attend a mutual event bloom into exaggerated problems. I've seen at least two situations (and have heard of a few more), where Chartering Organizations and the Scout Units had totally different expectations.

Both organizations (the CO and the Pack/Troop) left disappointed with each other, and by end of the Scout year, the Pack and Troop had to seek another Chartering Organization.

Over the years as a Cubmaster and Scoutmaster, I have been blamed for damage to portions of the buildings, that we do not have keys for, or remote access to. The Scouts are totally innocent of any damage, but once the IH, COR, and their board of directors have their minds made up. There is nothing the Scouts can do to prove their innocence.

Even as a Troop. We have only offered "family camping" once a year. Since some parents cannot understand there is a Senior Patrol Leader or Patrol Leader. We have had to tell parents, that this block of time is for your family, but the rest of the time is Troop time.

It is hilarious, and also damaging when parents (meaning to be helpful, are yelling at the boys to get the bus and trailer loaded up). We usually (and quickly) have to pull those parents aside and ask them to let the SPL handle it. Similar issues may also bloom in a Pack or Crew.

Finally. Normally, BSA and unit insurance will only cover those registered members. Although I love "tag-a-longs" or "mascots" siblings to attend ceremonies. Events away from the normal meeting place have to be carefully thought, is there any risk involved? Can they get burnt with a stick and hotdog? Can a grease fire from bacon splater onto them? Could the get "whacked" by a run away paddle?

I clutch my heart too many times just when the Scouts go out camping. Taking more members of a Chartering Organization may put me in the hospital.

So bottom line. It does help to have all members attending a campout to be registered (and trained) members.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"Over the years as a Cubmaster and Scoutmaster, I have been blamed for damage to portions of the buildings, that we do not have keys for, or remote access to. The Scouts are totally innocent of any damage, but once the IH, COR, and their board of directors have their minds made up. There is nothing the Scouts can do to prove their innocence."

The CO for my son's troop is similarly whacky. They've threatened to kick us out of the hall because we missed some dirt on the floor. They asked us to set up chairs after a meeting for their event the next day. We did so and then they whined because we set them up wrong. They've scheduled events on our meeting nights (it's been Monday night for nearly 20 years). We can't use the facility on weekends. Etc., etc.. However, they did build us a shed for storage and then complianed about it.

Now on the flip side, we get incredible support from a local church. The dinners are held there. Committee meetings are there. No charge. And they give us a donation every year.

Another church in town let's the Cubs use their gym for the PWD, at no charge.

Maybe the key is to avoid dealing with your CO for anything other than signatures.

We were blamed once for leaving a window unlocked in which the church was burglarized through. We meaning all of the Pack, Troop & Girl Scout that meet at our church. Some our Board continually has a hard time differentiating. Turns out the Youth Director had to show some of the old fuddies that the windows are so cheap that the lock can easily be picked from the outside. We werent even in that classroom. Still think they blame us.

I will bend over backwards anytime to improve relations with our CO (however I draw that line at our self appointed COR since he was the ringleader in blaming us for the break-in). Regardless, any adult from the board of the CO should be welcome to join anytime without any issues, but I really do like the idea that they all take the YP on line! If its just another interested church member I may be more inquisitive about motive and require registration. Either way, I would welcome the offer so we can show what we are all about. As always, with parents or visitors we inform them that they are part of the leadership patrol as guests, only there to be observers in the functioning of the troop that weekend, unless something special is going on. We are lucky and many of the elders and board were on the committee or leaders in the Troop when I was a kid, so they have a connection to me and trust that things are going properly.

Kind of a tangent, a fellow Eagle I grew up with is now a minister in a protestant and fairly progressive church. He says the under current is to go/stay away from Scouting as we compete with youth groups, we separate out girls, we cause bad PR with stand on gays & past problems with pedophiles, not enough time spent on bible study, they have no functional control over leaders or program, competing with youth group time/facilities/adults/resources From their perspective, all those issues can be resolved with an active and exciting youth minister, plus they are locking in new members as they mature into adults. So anyways, sad to say the separation described might have been inevitable anyhow. The joint campout may only have confirmed their plans, even if the unit was program perfect that weekend. The DE should be assisting in making sure the CO is clear what the program is all about and preventing the separations mentioned. But sometimes just lose the battle.

Hey Snoring Bear

Having any youth program in a church will sooner or later lead to your problem. When anything goes wrong or is broken the first people the church board goes to is the youth pastor or scout leader, this has been my experience serving in both of these positions, it kind of goes with the territory. All you can do is try to get the elders involved in your program, invite them to a couple of dinners or events over the year, do a service project for the church annually that usually gets them to view your group with a more favorable light.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

Cad - sorry - my simple answer was a misstatement.

The simple answer to YOUR question is "No".

(I answered it as if you asked "is it ok to take unregistered adults camping with the Scouts" which is completely different from your question which was do they have to be registered)

So no, they do not have to be registered.

Calico

Hello cad-guy:

I checked what I could find in the Guide to Safe Scouting. It said the following:

"Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be at least 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips or outings."

Note the "other adult." So if you were short one adult for a trip or outing, one of these CO affiliated individuals would do just fine. It's hard to see how such an individual would be permitted if necessary and not permitted if there were other adults around.

Is it a good idea? The default option is that it's always good to do what your CO wants.

It might make sense to find out why they want to come. If it's just to have a good time camping, then they might distract and that would be a disadvantage. If they want to watch and learn about Scouting, that could be a plus. If they can actively contribute to the program, so much the better.

Insurance was mentioned. My understanding is that insurance covers registered members and persons who, in bona fide manner, are considering joining. I presume that there is some provision for family camping. What the status is of people affiliated with the CO but not otherwise affiliated with the unit I'm not sure, but I do know that the BSA bends over backwards to protect COs.

Check with your council if you need to be sure, but I would say that if there is a reasonable program related reasons for them to go, great.