We have a rough scout in our troop and he always seems to get caught doing something wrong. Usually its minor but this year at summer camp one of the scouts had a birthday and though out the day the other scouts got in some birthday punches,all the time avoiding being caught by any leaders. Well this scout just happened to get in the last punch that put the birthday boy past his limit. It wasn't a fair punch, it was in the ribs and not the arm. The scout cried for about an hour but refused to go to the nurse. There was apologies and letters written to all concerned. At the next committee meeting with out the scout there or his committee member dad there was a discussion about what to do with this kid. The scoutmaster (female) wanted the scout tossed out of the troop, the committee chair offered that he be suspended from the troop for six months. There was a vote and he was suspended. The parent wasn't notified of what happened and he tried to contact the scoutmaster but was blown off. He finally found out through other parents that were at the meeting about the suspension. Does this sound a little extreme? Shouldn't the scoutmaster have followed the rules at camp and sent the the scout home on the spot? please help.

Thanks

DP

IMHO, There seems to be a bit missing from the story. You said "There was apologies and letters written to all concerned." Who other than the two boys required appologies? Did ALL the boys have to write letters? Did the SM (SPL) have a conference with this boy? Were decisions/course of action plans made?

The after the fact committee meeting (without the boys dad who is a committee member) smacks of a private meeting. The failure of the CC and the SM to inform the parent and the scout of the decision of the committee smells of COWARDICE.

This is NOT the Scouting way.

If you want the boy to grow up, then the comitte has to GROW up as well. Be an adult and stand by your convictions. Let the boy and the parent know that YOU (if you were in on the vote) decided his fate in secret and YOU (if you are the SM) wnat him to either change or go. Give guidance, not backstreet justice.

Seems unfair to single out just one Scout when you state:

" throughout the day the other scouts got in some birthday punches,all the time avoiding being caught by any leaders. Well this scout just happened to get in the last punch that put the birthday boy past his limit. It wasn't a fair punch, it was in the ribs and not the arm."

It seems to me that ALL of the birthday punches weren't "fair" punches. I'd suggest that the committee, SM and ASMs do some self appraisal on why they let things go as long as they did and why they felt it was necessary to single out one Scout. It seems all parties, youth and adult, were at fault. The troop committee acted as much a bully as the singled out Scout.

The letters were written to the injured scout, the injured scouts parents, the scoutmaster and the committee chair. There was no conference with anybody about anything until the committee meeting. this is common for this sm. She is very secrective and had contact with the scouts dad two days before the meeting with out saying anything.

Sounds like there's some real problems all the way around on this issue. Where was the SM when all the other punches were being thrown? I'm thinking there might be something remiss about the SM who has to have everyone else do the discipline she should have been doing. Then later a second wave of discipline meted out by the committee? Sounds kinda shady from my perspective.

By the way, I know a boy who punched a camp counselor, was sent home, made his apologies, and eventually went on to earn his Eagle. Stuff happens, some of it stupid, mean, and very un-Scout like, but one of the reasons the SM is there to make things better, not worse.

Just my opinion.

Stosh

Per BSA policies on discipline, the parents are to be involved when dealing with youth behavior problems. Holding "secret" Committee meetings is against BSA policy.

There should have been, at the very least, a SMC with the boy AND his parents to discuss his behavior. Then, whatever consequences are decided on by the Troop, the parents should be involved in all the way along. Ignoring the family and letting them all find out what was done thru gossip, is unconscionable.

Shame on ALL of the Committee members and Troop leaders for not handling this correctly.

"This isn't even what I'd consider a committee decision. Behavior and misconduct are the SM's to deal with."

Your personal opinion perhaps but incorrect according to the BSA. If you read the Guide to Safe Scouting, The Scoutmaster Handbook, The Troop Committee Guide, or take Scoutmaster Leader Specific training you will find that the BSA specifically makes reoccuring bad behavior the responsibility of the Troop Committee.

BW stated - "you will find that the BSA specifically makes reoccuring bad behavior the responsibility of the Troop Committee."

BSA also specifically states it should be done in conjunction with the parents.

I believe a three pronged approach is necessary to best promote proper behavior and discipline. Our unit summarized BSA policy for our members as follows:

1. Scouts shall conduct themselves in accordance with the principles set forth in the Scout Oath and Law at all times. Physical violence, hazing, bullying, theft, verbal insults, and drugs and alcohol have no place in the scouting program.

2. All adult leaders shall be responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. However, unless there is an imminent safety issue or a risk of injury, adult leaders should allow youth leaders to attempt to resolve the situation before interceding (i.e., don't yell stop that, talk privately to the SPL or PL and have him stop it).

3. The Scoutmaster shall be responsible for notifying parents about inappropriate behavior and providing disciplinary action. Examples of disciplinary action include withholding rank advancement (i.e., scout spirit, Scoutmaster Conference), parental notification, and temporary exclusion from troop activities (e.g., sending a misbehaving boy home from a campout). The Troop Committee shall review repetitive or serious incidents of inappropriate behavior in consultation with the parents of the boy to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the boys membership in the unit. Disciplinary action shall comply with the GSS and youth protection guidelines.

These are documented in a small handbook we provide parents when their son joins our unit.

If the behavior wasn't observed and interceded upon, I don't think the events of a single day constitute a repetitive incident.(This message has been edited by MarkS)