Bobwhite, our troop policies mirror those that Mark posted above.

If the parents weren't engaged by the Scoutmaster either immediately after the incident or upon returning home, then it doesn't meet my definition of something serious enough to refer to a committee.

The fact that the committee chose to play judge and jury with the boy and his parents in absentia tells me they don't have a very good understanding of our own justice system or the concept of due process.

Have the parents gone to the CO about this? The DE? Man, you guys have an open can of worms and a fish rotting from the head down. If your recharter is coming up, it would be a convenient time for everyone to take some time out and reassess all aspects of Troop leadership. If your recharter isn't coming up, it's still time to reassess Troop leadership.

It's obviously easier to drop adults (and Scouts for that matter...) during recharter because you have people actually looking at the roster. Not that it makes the process of removing adults from a leadership position any less messy, but at least you're not stuck dealing with prorated refunds for dues, etc...

Nothing requires a unit to wait until recharter to change leaders. The Prorate chart is printed on the applicxation form so hard had can that really be. Nothing requires that a persom given a refund when removed form the roster since they can still transfer to another unit under their current registration.

If a person is not doing their job and will not change then relpace them, There is no need or benefit to waiting for recharter dates.

The parent finally had a e-mail communication with the CC and he stated that he was instructed to send a certified letter to the parent but nothing has been receive as of this posting. We don't know who would instruct the CC but he was still was reluctant to offer any info. This whole situation stinks. There is another son of this parent that is totally uninvolved in any of this but feels this will affect him and I can't blame him. Maybe a face to face with the local council is how to approach this.

Daycamper, I do not know what training you have taken yet, but in the New Leader Essentials training, a part of the BASIC training sequence for ALL scouting positions you will learn that the unit has belongs to the charter organization and not the council. It resides in the council area. The unit has sole authority in matters of uit membership as long as the scout meets the eleigibily rules of the BSA. The unit is a private organization and can determine its own discipline as long as it does not violate the youth protection poilices of the BSA, this includes supending youth or adults from activities or expulsion from the unit.

The council has absolutely no authority in the matter.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

All we know is that an incident happend at one summer camp which was not observed and the response of the leadership in this case doesn't seem to be appropriate... It was stated that the SM doesn't really like the boy in question but until now any behavior problems were minor. So far, I'm not reading anything IMO that would warrant a purge of adult leadership at recharter.

What I am seeing is that they are not communicating very well. They're writing letters and sending emails in regards to something that should be discussed in a face-to-face with all the parties involved. My recommendation is to have a talk and eliminate the mountain of correspondence that's being created. You'll determine more quickly if you have a problem, what it is, and how to fix it this way. It may be the 21st century but we still haven't developed a communication technology that's as effecient as a face-to-face conversation with a reat-time dialog and exchange of ideas.