Early Webelos crossover

GKlose and Snoring Roaring Bear, having read your posts I got to thinking and a light bulb popped up in my head. When I was a younger Scout my Dad had alot to do with my progress, he nudged me along when needed and encouraged me when I did well on my own. I did very well in Cub Scouts and left with every badge as well as my Arrow of Light. I went on to Boy Scouts and did very well, sometimes I got bored, but my father ensured I was signed up for everything and kept me going. I made it to Life rather quickly, as quickly as you can. Then my parents divorced and Dad moved away. I quickly left Scouting and it still hurts that I didn't make Eagle. I want to be that guy who nudges when needed and encourages always. Thanks for the insight.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC I wanted to tell my Dad numerous times I was ready to quit Scouts. But I didnt have the nerve, considering he was an Eagle himself. I left him bragging rights that he got one more Palm than I did.

It sounds awful heroic to say the kid has to want it. Well you know what? If we didnt have those kinds of people nudging us along, many of us past Eagle wouldnt be able to say we are. These boys need it just like we did. Or they wont either understand the importance of it in the first place. Join us in being that BC, and we will be that much better here in America.

Good for you, BC, and welcome to the Club!!

I'm also trying to figure out that balance between encouraging and letting them show initiative. They very much are kinetic kids -- unless they're pushed a little, they would rot away with video games.

I had the other experience as a kid. My parents, other than being a den mother and a CM, didn't participate much. I think they burned out with my older brothers (cubs and boy scouts, but not for very long). They probably thought I would get disinterested too.

So my strategy is to aspire to encourage without being pushy, and it sure seems like there is a fine line between the two sometimes.