The best things you can do to help with perception is to be the one who is always ensuring that YPT is covered, the rules are followed, training is taken, and the Scouts are taken care of.

Do those, avoid any possible appearance of impropriety and you shouldn't have any problems.

Although the above is good advice for any/all of us. :)

Come on back, some lucky Troop is just waiting for you.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd encourage you to get active again as well. I'd find a Troop to work with and help if I were you. I'm sure a local Troop would be glad to have you. I think as you start to take training and learn the role, you show the parents that you can do it and are capable. I think that initially they might judge you and question your involvement, but as you get involved and do the right thing, those questions will go away.

I'm a 29 year old Scouter who is currently a District Training Chair. I was asked to serve there three years ago after I got involved at the Unit Level again in 2003 when I was 24. Through college, I was just doing OA Stuff and had no Unit level involvement, I was a paper registration at the Troop back home. Now I've transfered Lodges and Councils to the one I live in and am active there. I'd strongly encourage you to get involved again. It seems like you want to do it for the right reasons, and we always need leaders who are there for the kids.(This message has been edited by willhi1979)

Ditto to what everyone has already mentioned.

Don't worry about the perception ... the boys (and their parents) will soon see how GREAT you are and how the Scouting background and experience will only help the troop (and the boys).

Just be who you are and allow yourself time to "grow in to the position" ... it will all work out --- trust us --- we've all "been there, done that, wore the tee-shirt!"

LCScouter,

www.longcanescouting.org/

Funny how times change. Back in the day, most, if not all leaders smoked and dont dare consider calling an adult by his first name. Some of the first time my Scouts hear me called by my first name from other youth is at OA events, some are visibly taken aback by it. Recently, I recruit a past Eagle (early 30s) who found himself with an instant family through marriage and wanted a Troop for his new step son. I sign him up as an ASM but hes a little rough around the edges. Smokes has a few tattoos some of his military stories arent always appropriate But boy does he relate to the guys and has shown them the passion for Scouting I just cant present. Some parents gripe about his impression, and I share those concerns but think I do a fair job of keeping him in balance; but theres definitely a line between him and some of our parents. Funny.

Been walking around downtown Bethlehem over the weekend at Musikfest, Avril Lavigne's concert was Friday night, Denis DeYoung was on hand Saturday night with Kool and the Gang in one venue and .38 Special in another on Sunday. And tonight it's Boston's turn.

And I have to tell you, there were not many people under 30 or so who were not sporting a tattoo. heck, the new DE of my district has a tattoo on the small of her back, of course its in the shape of the Venuring symbol, but still its a tattoo.

Whether we like tattoos or not, they are on the rise, whatever happened to judging people based on their charactor and not the decorations on their skin?

" heck, the new DE of my district has a tattoo on the small of her back, of course its in the shape of the Venuring symbol, but still its a tattoo."

She had better hope that what happened to Exploring doesn't happen to Venturing. Or that the symbol gets changed. :)

" heck, the new DE of my district has a tattoo on the small of her back, of course its in the shape of the Venuring symbol, but still its a tattoo." I won't ask how you found out about the tattoo.

Get back in Scouting - you are needed. I have known many Scouters in their 20's and they are welcome. Someone also has to keep the older generation on our toes.

"Whether we like tattoos or not, they are on the rise, whatever happened to judging people based on their charactor and not the decorations on their skin?"

Smoking, drinking to excess and many tatoos are all indications of someone's character.

Most of the tatoos that I see on young men are screaming skulls, demon heads, flames, Satanic angels, and the like. Ads for motorcycles and professional sports teams aren't much better.

How about the guys who get their name tatooed on their arm? Not smart enough to remember your name?

I met a soldier who had a picture of a solideir's grave tatooed on his arm with a name an date. I asked about it and it was a memorial for his unit's first sergeant. The entire unit got them. That one is okay in my book.

Around my parts, the tatoo on the small of a woman's back has an interesting colloquial name, "tramp stamp." That speaks volumes.

As of next month I will be continuously registered in scouting, first as a youth and then an adult for 30 years.

When I turned 18, I immediately became an ASM. I helped out units in my college towns and was welcomed by those units and their leaders/parents.

When I came back home at age 25 (with two degrees under my belt), my hometown unit was in need of a scoutmaster and they asked me to fill the role. I filled it for five years. However, there were several parents who would not accept me (nor would they step up) because I didn't have any kids in the troop. It was due to conflict with some of them that I stepped down and moved onto district level volunteering.

The troop went through some very rough times between then and when they convinced my brother to step up as SM at age 30. Like me he has no kids, but the current parents seem more accepting of him.

Our SM when we were scouts was in his 20's with no boys of his own. He had three daughters and so his wife pressured him to step down and join girl scouting.

So, there is nothing wrong with a leader in his 20's. However, depending on the troop, you may or may not be accepted. If not, move on and find a unit that is happy to have another leader.

I became an assistant scoutmaster when I was 19 years old, and was appointed scoutmaster when I was 21. I still hold that position after 26 years.

As long as you are mature enough to handle the position I would not see any problem being a twenty year old leader. Go for it and put your knowledge and skills to work. And make sure you have a good committee to back you up.

Two years ago I was in your shoes, 46 with no apparent chance to have childern of my own and a need to mentor. My biggist fear was covered by Gunny2862s response, they can protect you just as well as the boys.

I think all single scouters feel their age group is the most watched for offenders, but any person physicly fit enough for Scouting is fit enough to offend.

That said it has been a good two years and I seem to have been a bit parnoid, will continue being vigialent about YP though.

Welcome back to the camp fire!

Hey man, im in the same boat, im 19 and an assistant scoutmaster. I love the program and i know that i can help the boys in my troop. The troop im from comes from a poor rural area in Missouri and a lot of these kids come from broken homes, and other bad situations in life. Because of my age they see me more as a trusted friend. Our scoutmaster is either 50 or near it and some boys see him like a father figure and sometime its also good to have a younger adult in the troop that the boys would see as a brother. Stay in there man, i know the feeling but its worth it, just wait till you see a young man join your troop then a few years later you watch him taking the eagle scout oath. its worth it and i would trade it for the world.