National office reorganizes

Another bit of news that came out just last week is that the BSA national office has gone through a complete retooling.

There is no longer separate program divisions as in the past. Gone is the Boy Scout Division, the Cub Scout Division, etc..

We did not get all the new groups titles as they had not been finallized till late last week and many of the people involved were at Philmont and waiting to find out their new groupings.

I do know that there is now an outdoor adventure group, and a Council Service group.

Your local scout executives could probably give you more information, but it was so new last week that we just got some bare basics about it.

The purpose of the change was to improve communications, change the focus of work to address specific areas of need, and to provide faster service to the front line.

Johh of course can check on this when he gets to PTC in August. :)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

You can see the new top level organizational chart here:

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2008/07/16/national-council-organizational-changes/

The letter that was sent to Scout Executives can be seen here:

http://thescoutpatchauction.com/blogsite/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/newbsaorg.pdf

More information is to follow in August at the National Leadership Training Conference. Information about the new BSA Professional compensation will also be released at this meeting. Rumor has it they are getting rid of job classifications

Having spent 20+ years working in large multi-national organizations, this is expected. When you have stagnant growth, a perceived lack of response to market changes and your customer base, you do what ever other big company does. RE-ORG!

Hopefully, they figured out where the problems exist and adjust the organization appropriately. But like every other company I've worked for that tried to get the right mix, I don't have much faith. But if they aren't changing, they aren't tryin!

A piece of paper signed by Mr Mazzuca :)

We have to remember that this is only the very top folk in the food chain. The next couple of layers of org charts will help define how things will happen.

I've been through corporate America re-orgs, as well as military ones. Some re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic. Some respond to customer needs. Let's hope this is the latter.

Well, still a lot of questions.

Who IS supporting the traditional programs (cub, boy scouting, venturing, sea scouting?). Who is taking care of training (new training, updates, WB, etc)? That's not clear from this chart.

Our council seems to be trying to consolidate functions as well. District events now all council-wdie (although you could still go to other district events in the past and are called Special interest Prgrams now instead of Camporees). RT's are going to 1 council Rt instead of each district having own (will we feel lost- what about those that have to travel a distance- will they now not be able to attend? and items unique to certain districts ).

Maybe a reflection of National changes????

Everytime a new boss comes in, the org is remade in his/her image. It is the way of the world. If a new SM is invested, the Troop will change alittle or alot, thereby.

The Scouts will still need to go camping. The Cubs will still need to "Go see". If the MB books are in color now, so be it. We communicate by electrons rather than mimeo ammonia.

Let's go...

I think its time for song, a song, its time to sing a song EH?

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around me

Pick up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Don't get fooled again

No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

Funny I was thinking at the last RT how it would be better if my district were smaller. I would rather sit down and coordinate some events with the four or five troops within 15 miles of my charter.

Instead the district is gerrymandered just like a political district so that it stretches far north and south to capture the right demographic make-up. When cub camporees are held either the south or the north siders complain that its too far.

I don't know maybe a Council wide Round Table will be better than the lame things we have now.

Sometimes the district boundaries make no sense at all. My council has 3 districts. I live in one, have a troop in another and a crew in the third.

Sometimes things don't have to make sense. Needless to say a council wide RT would be the shortest distance of travel for me.

Stosh

I hope they do not combine districts in our area. Some of ours are all ready too big. With gas prices going thru the roof, asking people to drive farther for roundtable is asking for less participation not more. If anything they should make smaller geographical district so maybe more people whould/could attend. One district I know of makes those on the edges drive around 100 miles round trip to go to roundtable. Would you drive that far or farther?

"Unless you live in a very unusual council more than likely your district boundaries are determined by school districts and county lines and not demographic make-up."

That's been my experience in all the councils I've been involved in. districts have been clearily been divided by counties or sub divisions of counties.

However, one council I'm in was setting up a 'Scoutreach district' that was bizarre, because it was trying to include the various depressed/poor communities (as the aim of scoutreach was to reach that community).