Tragic Scout death in south NJ

*no words to describe this horror for the boys and their families. please, please -- let's be vigilant with scouts of all ages*

A 17-year-old Boy Scout who suffered burns during an incident that went awry at the Joseph A. Citta Scout Reservation died Thursday at the Temple University Hospital Burn Unit in Philadelphia, authorities said.

Sean Whitley, 17, of Dogwood Road in Marlton, was pronounced dead by Dr. Amy MacKenzie at 4:27 p.m. yesterday, Ocean County Prosecutor Marlene Lynch Ford announced today.

The victim had been hospitalized at this location since receiving thermal injuries on Sunday, July 6, at the Joseph A. Citta Boy Scout Camp in Waretown," Ford said in a news release.

An autopsy is scheduled to be performed Saturday at Community Medical Center in Toms River.

Whitley's twin brother, Kenneth, 17, also was injured in the incident, as was a 14-year-old from Ocean County.

The Ocean County Prosecutor's Investigator Thomas Haskell and Ocean Township Police Detective William Sneddon are investigating.

Whitley was among three Boy Scouts who were recovering from burns suffered during a "ring of fire" incident.

Deputy Chief Michael Mohel of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office had said the

incident occurred about 11:30 p.m. Sunday, when an 18-year-old Scout, who is also a senior staff member at the reservation, used rubbing alcohol from a bottle to create a flammable circle on a makeshift table.

The staff member, whom Scouting officials would not identify, thought that the fire

burned out. When he started to add fuel to the ring, an ember ignited a flame which

traveled back up the alcohol stream into the bottle, Mohel said.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/NEWS01/80711042/1006/RSS01

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

As I'm writing a submission to my district and council newsletter on training, concerning this (and other life threatening and serious injuries over the past few years). I have recently learned of this story as well.

This ring of fire appeared to be a summer camp prank, stunt or game gone wrong. There is a previous news release, which barely explains in in just a few details. But it appears the junior staff member that was demonstrating this unauthorized game/stunt, poured rubbing alcohol in a circle (on a makeshift table), and igniting the alcohol. As he poured and added more rubbing alcohol the stream of alcohol ignited and he threw the flaming bottle striking and igniting three nearby boys.

The vague explanation in the press release, appears not to be a sanctioned Scout training session, not a merit badge class. But a stunt or prank that got carried away.

As I write my submission for my local newsletter, My main topic will concern reviewing the G2SS and taking a brief time for risk assessment (or thinking twice).

Scouting and our Guide to Safe Scouting, makes our program one of the best and safest outdoor based program by far. I am not attempting to scare anyone away from Scouting by pointing out serious injuries or tragic loss of life. But I am trying to have fellow Scouters and friends be aware and transfer their concerns to their troops and packs.

While we cannot always have an eye on every scout at all times, we as adults need to be cautious of our own demonstrations and examples, and we need to make sure our Scouts understand the dangers and fun of wood tools (knives), water front, high heat and extreme cold conditions, lightening storms and cooking stoves and open fires.

Similar to reading Boys Life and seeing "Scouts in Action" seriously using first aid techniques that they have learned in the First Aid Merit Badge. The Scouts (and Scouting leaders and parents) need to learn that knives, fires, even water can be dangerous.

If we all (Scouts and adults) use common sense and take a second for a brief risk assessment to ask ourselves, "Is the stunt, event, or hike, really safe?" We will not overcome all accidental injuries (and unfortunate losses of a Scout) but we will reduce those odds significantly.

More than the adults being aware. We really need the youth to be aware of the enormous amount of fun in Scouting (and the few hazards if the G2SS guidelines are not followed).

Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Wow!

As a young man, I did many things like this. Squirt lighter fluid right onto the hot coals. Lysol torches. And much, much more.

Gotta because careful when playing with fire. It is very unforgiving.

My heart goes out to all involved. The parents, the burned Scouts and the "adult" who started the whole mess. They'll all have to live the consequences.

it is indeed a sad day in scouting, I know or district chair had an incident with white gas as a scout. So our district uses propane except for hi-adventure were it is not a good fit. As i tell the scouts planning & preperation are not just words think of the consequences before acting.

YIS

Doug

Prayers for all involved. My heart goes out to all of them.

We camped with thier Webelo Den last weekend and spoke to them about it... apparently it amounts to a couple of kids, one who was 18, playing with fire. The 'real' adults were asleep. It was a dumb, senseless accident from invincible teenagers taking stupid risks. I just thank God accidents like this don't happen more often, and if anything scouts and leaders alike will have learned something from this poor kids' death.