"scout essentials backpack" ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how we cover this at our Troop. The BSA Handbook has a list of the Outdoor Essentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Outdoor_Essentials

Knife

First Aid Kit

Spare clothing

Rain Gear

Flashlight

Trail Food / Emergency rations

Water (in our Troop no disposable water bottles are allowed - must be a refillable type)

Matches

Sun protection

Map & Compass

We tell the boys to take a napsack (school backpacks are the best) and load it with all of this. We also tell them to add their BSA Handbook, 6 feet of rope, and a notepad and paper. We give them a laminated luggage tag with their current Scout ID card on one side and this list on the other side to check it, and to attach to the bag.

We ask the boys to bring this pack to every Scout event unless specifically told not to. This helps teach Be Prepared. At any time a Scout on the Trail to First Class can work on knots or First Aid. They can get their Book signed off. They can take notes for a MB class. They can bandage a cut.

Simply put, a nice pack to use to ensure that they are prepared.

My son is working on Emergency Prepardness MB right now. One of the requirements is the Emergency kit. He went to his MB counselor this morning with two bags - his Essentials pack AND the additional items needed.

We were at a pool and several boys wanted to do the 30 foot line rescue. 6 of them pulled the rope from their packs, tied it together to make a 30+ foot line. We then did the resue work, and they all had their handbooks for the sign off as well.

Add nothing to the requirements.

Take nothing from the requirements.

Yes the above are paraphrased, but they are in both Advancement Policies and Procedures #33088 and Requirements #33215.

Here's my question: If a Scout fails to bring his ruck to a Troop meeting, when it comes time for SM Conference and/or BOR, are you going to get on his case about it?

If yes, how do you resolve that with National Advancement policy?

If he doesn't have it at a meeting, then his book can't be signed (unless he brought his book separately). If he doesn't have rope, he has to borrow to practice knots. If he doesn't have his First Aid kit, it is difficult to practice First Aid.

I counsel Scouts to Be Prepared. I have used the Boy Scout Handbook to DEFINE what it is to Be Prepared. I don't see that I am in any way adding requirements by asking Scouts to show that they follow the Scout Motto.

If a Scout is regularly NOT prepared, we will discuss that at the SMC and I am sure that the BOR will discuss it as well.

It really never meant anything to our scouts if you knew how to pack for a troop meeting. We always taught how to pack at a troop meeting, we had a game where you practiced packing, and then we tested the scout on campouts. If a scout believed he packed properly he could take his pack to one of the authorized scouts or scouter who had learned how to test the requirement and show them that he did it correctly. Yes, they looked for the ten essentials as well as other elements of good pack preparation that are in the Handbook.

The 10 outdoor essentials are only a portion of the packing list for a campout. Most of them are good for impromptu day hikes, service projects, trail building days, or practicing Scout skills. I carry them myself as the SM to provide the example.

This bag is not a huge backpack, it is a school day bag. Most of the boys just shove that bag INTO their backpack when they go camping, knowing that the essentials are already covered.

Be Prepared.

"If he doesn't have his First Aid kit, it is difficult to practice First Aid."

I would like to politly disagree to this. Unless the scout keeps that bag with him 24hrs/365 they need to learn how to deal with emergencies with just what they can scrounge up. Take the boys at the camp hit by a tornado - that sort of bag might be gone along with other formal kits. I try to teach how to use what is around to do the job. Please do not make them feel that they cannot do anything to help someone without access to one of these bags, but I do love the general concept of trying to keep these bags around.(This message has been edited by firekat)

I agree with John about not adding to the requirements, but I also like the "go-bag" concept (including placing it in one's pack as part of a regular packing system) as I have used it in other areas of my life.

I think I could see encouraging this but I'm not sure I could reconcile it being a topic at a SM Conference or a BOR.

Horizon, FMI, are you having success with this or is it a struggle? Do the boys see the value of it or do they do it because you "discuss" it at SM conferences?

We are pretty successful (>70% have their bags at any point in time - about the same percent for complete uniform). They always have it at the Rank Advancement SMC and BOR, but that is because they now consider it to be part of their standard kit for a review (Complete Uniform with Sash and Hat, prior rank cards, etc.). We found that the luggage tags are helping a lot, since it makes it easier to run down the list and check the bag contents.

It is not used as a harassment tool ("Hey - where is your bag!?!") but as a gentle "Be Prepared" reminder. All of the items find value on a regular basis during meetings, campouts and other outings.

Example: I see a Scout who is working on First Class arrive early to a meeting. I might sit down with him and offer to practice the bowline with him. If he says, "I don't have any rope, can you go unlock the Troop trailer?" I reply, "First let's check your essentials bag and use that rope." If he doesn't have it, he realizes that he should, and we use mine. Nothing else is said, but the boy has now seen a reason for the kit and has a better chance of remembering it next time.

Example: A Scout cuts himself. The first statement out of my Scouts is usually, "who has their essentials kit? Get out your First Aid kit!" Immediately all of those withOUT a kit have a reminder that they should carry it with them.

At a recent COH a Scout discussed Be Prepared with the parents, and then quizzed them to see how many of THEM had an earthquake kit in their car (we are in California). Very few did, and he smiled and pointed out that the Essentials kit that the Scouts carry is a great personal earthquake kit if you get stuck on the highway for a few hours.

How is this "adding to the requirements"?

The act of having this bag is not being used as part of an advancement requirement that I can see. It is being used as a requirement to be ready. No different that many troops that require a full uniform at all meetings. Boys shouldn't be punished for it, but expectations should be discussed with them. It in no way affects advancement that I can see with the exception that some boys may be prepared to work on a MB at the last moment while others may not be. Now then, if a MB session was planned intentionally without informing the other boys and they miss out because they didn't "come prepared". There could be an issue in this area.

Not sure why folks are getting so hinky about the suggestion to bring basic Scout essentials gear to meetings. I recommend the very same thing to our Scouts - though many do not take my recommendation - partially due to a mixed message from the SM (I'm an ASM). He's told them to do it (where I got the idea) and then later says they really don't have to. Huh?? My view: It is good to "be prepared".

Failure to bring an essentials daypack doesn't result in inquiries, harrassment, or fingernail-pulling. Its just an attempt to help Scouts get organized.

I make the same sort of recommendations for their camp gear. I suggest they keep a duffel or pack pre-packed with most of the gear, so all they have to do is add appropriate clean clothes, stuff their sleeping bag, roll up the sleep pad, grab the essentials daypack and tent, and they're ready to go.

Ken

Heck, to this day I keep my ruck packed to go and support a need at either of our Scout reservations.

No, from where I sit, having a youth bring all 10 essentials each Scout meeting means the SM, the SPL, the TGs, and the Instructors have their heads someplace else. They've not done their homework on the Patrol Meeting or the Instruction period of the Troop Meeting Plan. They've planned to fail... because they've failed to plan.

The youth, having to bring a ruck every week, get the burden of covering their betters' hides and lack of planning/coordination.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

To the list I would add pencil and paper. We encourage the boys to come to meetings with Pencil, paper, rope, Scout handbook already. It needs some thought maybe they should bring all those items to every meeting. It is a great setup for a day trip or for a summer camp day pack but do include the pencil and paper.

As to being "hinky" on the issue - the problem, if any, from my cheap seat is if it is being used as a discriminator for advancement as it appears has been indicated. It just doesn't seem, to me, to be a SM Conference or BOR issue as has been indicated.

I think it should be clear that I think it's a good idea to have the "scout essentials backpack", it's just a matter of whether it's seen as an enforceable issue and how that is being done IF it is.

For kenk's Scoutmaster giving a mixed message, it may be because, like myself, he may want to encourage it but thinks enforcing it (especially as an advancement item) would be wrong.

John, what do you keep in your Ruck for those occasions(if anything special), or is it just a Basic Scouting Overnight load?

Work boots, grubby pants, work gloves, and cornstarch.

Bedroll. I hate the rubber-covered mattresses BSA councils use for staff beds; I keep 2 layers of mattress pads between me and the mattress.

Nalgenes, flashlight and alarm clock.

Safety glasses.

During the colder months, layers.

From there I can throw in my shaving kit, underwear, cold-wet field tops and pants, (DOD is the best gear there is when you're doing hard work in rain or wet snow; it's designed for abuse as you know :) ), and hit the road.

In the summer, staff T-shirts, Scout shorts, and Scout sox fill in for the work gear.