forum moderation at request of fscouter

>>I also wonder if pack and Beavah and yes, me too, might take greater offense at this in large part because we work in fields where freedom of expression and freedom from censorship are highly prized cultural practices in their own right, regardless of the content.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we are reminded often, we are guests of Terry, the owner of this private forum. The only rights we have are those which he chooses to grant to us. If we want freedom of speech, we have the right to start our own forum.

fscouter provided you a complete explanation of his/her actions. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome then contact Terry or call for his/her resignation as a moderator. But I agree with a previous post - either act or move on. There is power in numbers.

Lisabob, I agree with you regarding the value I place on the free and open expression of ideas. The reason I am doing this is because when I asked for a moderator to explain the specific instance of 'moderation' for which I started this topic (AT FScouter's INVITATION), the moderator responded by deleting my requests.

As far as I am concerned, that move was more heavy-handed, discourteous and more aggressive than any remarks that had been made during the previous (deleted) posts. FScouter's subsequent reluctance to answer my specific question led to this thread. For all practical purposes, he engaged in the passive-aggressive version of "Get Bent!"

When I see a problem and when the responsible party shrinks from addressing it, I tend to bore in relentlessly, sorry. But I will drive a stake through the heart of something like this if I possibly can.

BE CLEAR about this. FScouter precipitated this exchange by unfairly treating members of the forum. FScouter refused to respond to a simple question. He still hasn't really explained how Bob White's post crossed the line, only his personal impression of what the problem was. He hasn't even attempted to repeat the wording...expecting everyone to simply take his word for it.

But FScouter has been in control of this from the beginning. He could have wielded a softer touch on that other thread. He could have been more responsive. He could have ended the whole matter quickly and simply...by providing the requested answers. He didn't.

If you think that FScouter is contrite at this point, I will back off. I have seen no evidence to support that conclusion, have you?

"He still hasn't really explained how Bob White's post crossed the line

I and I have not asked him to do so publicly, and I see no reason why he should, or why others should insist on my behalf.

Please do not concern yourself with what a moderator does to my post. When I have a problem with a moderator I PM them and deal with it privately, as the discussion would not benefit anyone else. Are the moderators always right? No, and neither am I (even if I do believe I am right more often :)) and so we discuss it off-line.

Fscouter and other moderators have always been willing to discuss things privately with me except for one. And FScouter has always been polite in our exchanges. A characteristic I far prefer to the one moderator who has taken to malign me personally both on-line and off, a behavior I find to be anything but moderate.

Whether or not I am pleased with my post being removed is my business alone, and I will deal with or not in my own manner.

Thank you

BW

Its plain to see Packsaddle that you arent happy with the forum moderation. I do believe I responded to your questions in sufficient detail. A post was made disparaging another forum member, and was dealt with. What else needs to be said?

Your other concern about starting a topic on forum moderation has also been addressed. It is best not to hijack an existing topic of discussion into something completely different. I am sorry you had to repeat what you said in your deleted posts, but this new topic (now into 3 pages) doesnt belong imbedded in a topic about adult leader membership applications.

To all, it might be helpful to discuss what you expect in the way of posting guidelines and moderation. I encourage constructive ideas and Im sure the rest of the moderator team does too. Feel free to comment here, or in the topic in the Announcements forum, or spin-off.

Frank

Pack, I have has great respect for your advice. You actions right now suprise me. Please let it go so we can move on to other things. If you continue to have problems with moderators, take it up with the owner. Dragging this out is not too scout-like.

FScouter, as I noted before, I am not addressing the general topic of forum moderation. Sorry if I put this in the wrong discussion area but I think it can be moved, can't it, to a better location?

I was addressing a specific instance of forum modification. I do disagree with the action that was taken. I also think that if the respondents to these forums are to understand the ground rules, those rules, oops, 'guidelines' ought to be clear.

Bob White, As you wish I will refrain from employing your post as the object of this discussion. I was not so concerned with defending your right as I was in using it as a way for everyone to understand the process.

FScouter, the only difference between us is that Terry has given you the power to make communications disappear. What I have is the ability to question the use of that power.

YOU also have the ability to use the PM feature. You didn't. You could have settled this matter easily and quickly. You didn't. And I am responding in the only manner I have available. I will end this now. I hope my point has been made...but if anyone else is confident of that, I hope you can share your reasons with me - I'm not.

A post was made disparaging another forum member, and was dealt with. What else needs to be said?

What else needs to be said? Well, an explanation of why you feel it is OK to make disparaging remarks about another forum member and your posted are un-edited or not deleted?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10