Why are you Adults Doing This?

I was a Cub Scout and a Webelo's for a short time. I was in Boy Scouts for a long time making my Eagle and earning the Vigil Honor. I held just about every youth position and helped to start a new Scout troop in Texas in the early 90's. After that I got busy with life. Job, wife, kids and other stuff.

Now, my son is 11 years old and it has given me a reason to make the time for Scouts again. The Scouts was a real good thing in my life when I was young. It probably helped to keep me out of trouble. I have always loved the outdoors and Scouting was a big part of that. When I was younger I dreamed of being a professional Scouter and to try and carry on what (and how) I was taught.

I very recently have taken over the position of Scoutmaster for my son's troop and am SO looking forward to try and pass on the ideals and feelings that I acquired when I was a boy.

My son's troop isn't very active in district and council events and I hope to change that. The troop is also currently not very "boy run" right now and I also hope to teach and guide the boys into more leadership roles.

Why do I do this? I have such fond memories and feelings about the Scouts that it is hard to put them into words. I can bet that a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic