I was just wondering if anyone had seen this show on the Discovery channel and what you thought about it. I watched an episode and it seemed stupid to me..."let's take people from the city who have never been outside before and make them live in the middle of nowhere in Alaska and we could film it!!" yeah...great idea.

watch episodes @

http://video.discovery.com/#(This message has been edited by WildernesStudent)

There was a show about a family trying to survive on a homestead, 1800's style. There was a British show about a family living as Eritish gentry in the early 1900s. What I found interesting was the amount of work that had to be done without technology.

I don't have cable so I won't be watching the show so I don't know if that is their intent or this is supposed to be a real version of survivor.

I watched all the episodes and found it entertaining and informative. The subjects of the show were four groups of people. One was a husband and wife, two was a father and his two daughters, three was a couple who had recently begun dating and four was three friends made up of two guys and a girl. Three groups were in cabins while one was in a large wall tent on a platform. The experiment took place over 90 days. There two main goals were to store enough meat and firewood to survive as winter came. They were provided with expertd to teach them how to shoot, hunt and store food along with other skills needed to exist in the wilderness. At the end, all four groups said they loved it and would do it again. In fact, the couple who were dating quit their jobs to persue wilderness adventure and living.

"There was a show about a family trying to survive on a homestead, 1800's style. There was a British show about a family living as Eritish gentry in the early 1900s. What I found interesting was the amount of work that had to be done without technology."

GW, you forgot "Colonial House" in which a bunch of people were plunked down on the DownEast Maine Coast and had to make like the pilgrams for a summer. :)

An un-scoutlike observation. If I had been the dad who participated with his two daughters, I would have been coming out of the wilderness alone. After the way they behaved, I looked at my wife and told her these girls will never get married if a prospective husband ever sees the show. They were unbearable.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

While that sounds like a good idea, you make an assumption that all Eagle Scouts are skilled in the wilderness. Sadly, that isn't always the case. While I think my 15 year old Life Scout son who has been an APL, PL, ASPL and SPL and has backpacked Philmont and canoed Northern Tier as well as other high adventure trips would fare well, I know others who wouldn't. Another Life Scout in our troop is 16, will only seek the Librarian position and only camps if his dad is going probably wouldn't last a day. Both are close to Eagle. Depends on the Eagles you sent to Alaska.