Scout gains new insight from NYLT

We had one Scout attend NYLT last week. At our Scout meeting on Monday, he was telling me about the camp and what he did. At one point, he commented, "there sure are a lot of lame troops out there." He went on to explain that he couldn't believe there was Life Scout in his patrol that had never been backpacking. He said he had to stop another Scout from throwing a knife into a tree. A Star Scout in his patrol had no idea how to cook. Before I could say anything he said, "guess we have a really good troop."

Talking further with him, I noticed he was somehow different. He had moments of difficulty in the past wearing is uniform properly and he he was perfectly uniformed right down to the socks. We had a Court of Honor on Monday and many of our Scouts were absent because of vacations or working at summer camp. Without preparation, he just stepped in to run the COH. Did a nice job too. After COH we talked a bit more and he said he had a lot of new games he'd like to play at the end of meetings. "I'd like to talk to you Mrs. B. about that and some other cool ideas I have." Superb!

He was telling a story about something unfortunate that happened to him at camp. In the past, he would have either not told the story or fixed it up so that he didn't come off looking bad. This time, he told the story and at the end said, "boy, I was really dumb to do that." Self-deprecating? An ability to reflect on one's actions? Fantastic!

I have described this Scout (and his mother) in other posts as being somewhat difficult to deal with. At the end of our meeting, his mother came up to me and thanked me for sticking with him and for recommending him for NYLT. I think she finally gets it. I know her son does.

Radical so glad the course is helping so many Scouts ... We had 3 Scouts at our local NYLT and 4 more on staff. The course ended Saturday, Friday night 2 of our scouts were picked up taken to the airport and sent to the NYLE at Philmont. I pray that it makes a differences in our Troops program and orgnization - it is lacking the excitement and spirit it needs to be great...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

SR540Beaver writes:

They don't need NYLT. They just need to camp 300 feet from each other.

My last Council separated by more than 300 feet the Patrols of participants for all Boy Scout outdoor training programs, NYLT included. That is how I first noticed the Baden-Powell quote.

Our Troop used NYLT as a requirement to serve as PL or SPL. It worked better than an age or Rank filter because when I noticed a Scout with potential, I could move heaven and earth to get him to NYLT, thereby entering him in the small pool of candidates. Lazy and self-centered Scouts never got around to going.

gwd-scouter writes:

I have described this Scout (and his mother) in other posts as being somewhat difficult to deal with.

The Scouts that stand up to me are the ones that I always encourage into leadership.

As Baden-Powell said, "One of our methods in the Scout movement for taming a hooligan is to appoint him head of a Patrol. He has all the necessary initiative, the spirit and the magnetism for leadership, and when responsibility is thus put upon him it gives him the outlet he needs for his exuberance of activity, but gives it in a right direction."

Does this Scout have a leadership position? If not, do you have a strategy? :)

Kudu

And a 300 foot Beaver too.

My son went to NYLT last week and I am glad; it seems like he has gotten something out of it, and he was well complimented by one of the adult volunteers at the camp. Apparently they have already interviewed him to be on the NYLT staff next year. He announced this to his Troop on Tuesday.. that he had "A LOT" of fun, and learned a few things as well as refreshed on some things. He seemed proud, a little different, more aware of how he represents himself in the group - all good things. I am glad he was recommended by his SM! Even though he whined and cried about how it was his first week out of school and he wanted to sleep in... he made his week at NYLT count and mean something, to him.

I couldn't be a prouder parent :)

gwd,

Congrats on NYLT boosting your program. I have long desired our troop to utilize the program, but our SM has been resistant as he has little regard for anything council run. His son and mine have been staffing cub resident camp this summer and the camp director is the course director for NYLT. She was impressed enough with their instructor abilities to offer them spots staffing NYLT. She said they would actually learn more staffing the course than they would attending. Having participated in WB as both a participant and a staffer, I understand what she means. I've been going over the course syllabus and it has a lot to offer. I'm pleased our SM has bought into his son staffing with mine and hope it opens the door to us promoting it in the troop in the future. My son got home Wednesday night at 11:30 from staffing cub resident camp and left at 5:30 this morning with a crew from our troop for a Philmont trek. A week after they get home they will staff NYLT. I pray they will get as much out of it as your scout did. Thanks for the report.

SR540 - my older son staffed NYLT for a couple of years (back in the days when it was called JLT). He said he got more out of staffing than he did as a participant, so I'm sure your son will be the same. I was Camp Director for Cub Resident for many years and loved it. Bet your son also has a great time staffing resident camp. The staff I had was always eager to work and play with the little guys.

I don't know why some SMs don't encourage, or worse discourage, NYLT. The guys from our Troop have always benefited from the experience.

I certanly understand the the excitment of scouts who staff NYLTs. When I was the Council JLT Chairman (In Beaver's Council by the way) we were developing what was then our council leadership development (JLTC) ladder that funtioned as one of the stepping stones in the whole BSA Junior Leadership Development Program. The steps went something like this:

1. Den Chief Training DCT First Year Scouts

2. Unit Leadership development experience 11 thru 14 years old

3. JLTC Senior Leadership Level Training (Minimum age 14)

4. JLTC Staff Unit JASM Development Training

5. NJLIC at Philmont Training for JLTC Youth Course Directors

The objective was to encourage a specific purpose for each step of leadership development. We were trying to train the Scoutmaster how each step worked so that they could continually push their scouts to another level as they matured with experience. Staffing the Council JLT course is almost perfect for JASM development because the youth staff is trained to observe and teach the scouts leadership skills. It is also a great place to learn how to mentor or coach. Something that takes time and practice when the adults let their scouts do it.

The ladder allowed us a way to present the Scoutmasters wiht expectations of what to do with their Scout when the course was done. We clearly advertised to each SM that any scout who graduated from JLTC should plan, teach and lead ALL Troop JLT courses. We advertised that any Scout who staffed a JLTC course had the level of training to be a JASM. And we even specified the skills they should be allowed to perform in the troop.

One of the reason Scoutmasters struggle with council JLT training is because they dont know what the scout learned. So they dont know where to let the scout lead. We required a unit adult to attend the last four hours of the JLTC course so we could instruct them on the very thing. If the unit couldnt commit an adult to the training, their scout couldnt participate because it was a waste of time. As far as I know, we never had a single troop decline because of that. In fact, some troops actually like the adult training part so much; they sent more adults to the next JLTC even if they didnt have a scout in the course. The last thing we did was have the adult and the scout sit down together. There they created a plan to how the scout was going to use his new skills for reaching his goals that he wrote during the week.

I know our Council doesnt run the course like that anymore. But, I can certainly understand why scouts who staff these courses are different when the come back, and want to repeat the experience several times.

I would like to add, once a scout has staffed two council courses, he needs to go to Philmont. Scouts who came back from Philmont were outstanding in every way. That is why they became Course Directors in our council.

Good stuff.

Barry

Barry: throughout our Troop's earlier years, my older son and another Scout were the only two that ever attended NYLT (then, JLT). Older son worked NYLT staff for two years and is now in his fifth year on summer camp staff. The other Scout? Well, this summer he's working staff at Philmont. Younger son went to NYLT last year with another of our Troop's Scouts. The other Scout was invited to work staff this year, but had other commitments. Younger son in working his 2nd year at summer camp.

Kudu: I see some merit in your Troop using NYLT as a requirement for SPL/PL as being better than using an age/rank filter. In our Council a Scout must be at least 13 and 1st Class to go, so that in itself is an age/rank filter. Last year we sent two Scouts to camp, this year we sent two, and I already have my eye one two for next year. To me, the fact that these Scouts are willing to go to a week of training camp right after school gets out shows a commitment to our Troop and to each his own personal growth. I can only expect good things to come from that.

>>Our Troop used NYLT as a requirement to serve as PL or SPL. It worked better than an age or Rank filter because when I noticed a Scout with potential, I could move heaven and earth to get him to NYLT, thereby entering him in the small pool of candidates. Lazy and self-centered Scouts never got around to going.

"When I was the Council JLT Chairman (In Beaver's Council by the way) we were developing what was then our council leadership development (JLTC) ladder that funtioned as one of the stepping stones in the whole BSA Junior Leadership Development Program."

Eagledad- good post. HOWEVER, you need to get a copy of the current Leadership Training Committee booklet, as it give the CURRENT and CORRECT Youth leader development cycle. Yours has some problems in that some courses no longer exist.

Off the top of my head, the 'ladder' is:

Troop Leadership Training (#34306A)- done by troops

National Youth Leadership Training - done by Councils

National Youth Advanced Leadership Experience - done at Philmont

Den Chief training should not be viewed as a first step in leadership development for scouts. Its TLT. Not all youth leaders will become Den Chiefs. JLTC is no more, its now NYLT (nilt). NJLIC is no more (by about 2 years), its closest replacement is a regional-level course that I think only the NE gives. NAYLE (nail) is NOT a NJLIC replacement, as its NOT limited to future NYLT youth staff. There has been articles in Scouting about it.

Other courses you overlooked is the OA's LLD (Lodge Leadership Development) and NLS (National Leadership Seminar).