I had the pleasure of MC'ing an Eagle Court of Honor over the weekend. Near the end the Eagle Scout gave a short speech, thanking everyone for their support over the years...very typical stuff. Until he began to explain how his merit badge sash had become unwearable over the past two years due to his growing out of it. He went on to explain how one of the church parishioners, who he asked to join him in the spotlight, offered to alter it by sewing a piece of her own son's old sash into his in order to lengthen it. Holding up the altered sash with the extra back piece showing, he went on to explain that the parishioner's son was also an Eagle Scout. Then he explained that a little over a year ago, the son gave his life in the service of his country when dismantling a bomb in Iraq. Our Eagle Scout concluded by saying how proud he is to have a piece of this hero and brother scout with him always. Tears still come to my eyes just thinking about the sacrifice by both the soldier and his mom.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

I can tell you that this male scouter is fighting some serious tears right now.

I can remember all of the emotions of my Eagle Court of Honor (many years ago) and to have that extra emotion and internal burden to live up to the sacrificed son would have brought me to such great emotional tears I KNOW I couldn't have told the story of the sash to the crowd.

That is quite a young man described in the story. He sounds like he is built of fine stuff and I KNOW he will carry the legacy with him with honor.