I was looking out the window and saw a very big white bird circle around the front yard and come in for a landing on the driveway. Ive seen this bird now 3 or 4 times. It is an egret or something like that; long thin neck, long yellow bill, very narrow head, and long thin legs. He likes to wander around the house and out amongst the apricot trees. I cant imagine what he finds interesting. He doesnt seem to be looking for anything or doing anything, just observing. He stays for 30 minutes or an hour, maybe longer.

It must be the same bird; theyre not common in this area. Obviously the bigger attraction is the lake. Maybe he gets bored wandering around the lake and comes here to see some of the surrounding countryside. But why to this house, and why does he keep coming back?

Over the years weve had a number of visitors I feel sure they are the same individuals. There was a roadrunner that would hop up on the wood box by the front door and admire his reflection in the window. He would also come around to the patio and peer into the house through the sliding glass door. We saw him numerous times over a couple of years but I have not seen him now for a very long time.

The back yard is occasionally on the beat of a bobcat making the rounds. A very beautiful animal.

Ive seen him many, many times.

Great horned owls were frequent visitors, either on the power pole out front or the clothes line pole in back. Where are they now? I havent seen one for maybe two years. The last time I saw them there were 5 or 6 hanging out in the same general area. I think they were interested in one another, I cant imagine why.

This winter for several days running I heard and observed a woodpecker working on the bugs in the apricot trees. After about two weeks he left.

The quail come through daily, in coveys of a dozen to 25 or more. This time of year they seem to have paired up. I watched one pair yesterday evening for about 20 minutes. The male, with a prominent top knot hopped up onto a log I had upended in the driveway ready to split. The female wandered around the front yard in amongst the poppies, head to the ground, looking for seeds and what not. The male seemed to be simply standing guard while his mate gathered food without fear. Soon we will see a mother, followed by 8 or a dozen tiny chicks, so small 2 or 3 could easily fit in the palm of your hand.

Ive seen at least two rattlesnakes this year, but no gopher snakes. I have not seen a king snake for a long time. I do wish there were more kings and fewer rattlers. I quit killing the rattlesnakes; never could seem to put a dent in the population. After 15 years of killing them there were always more. They are completely non-aggressive and always go the other way given half a chance. Just dont step on one.

The deer are frequent visitors; they come down off the hill for easy pickings. And the rabbits are always present, year around. I suppose they keep the bobcat fat.