Ah, I see. I had an image of them scooping the ice from the display cases. Couldn't imagine that would be worth saving $5 for ice.

That's an interesting law. I've worked in a few restaurants and we never emptied the ice machines.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick's Sporting Goods have Scout Leader packets that they will give you upon request (you don't have to be in uniform) the packet contains about twenty pages of coupons for 10 to 20 percent off items in the store. There are also some $$ off coupons also. Check with the Manager and see if they would like to make a donation, they donated 25 fishing poles and two 2 man tents to my Cub Scout Pack.

You never know what you will get unless you ask.

A little over a decade ago, my unit was sending a crew to Philmont, but didn't have any backpacking tents. So a couple of the scouts wrote a letter to Kelty Tents asking what kind of a discount they could get on their products.

Kelty didn't send a response letter back. Instead, they shipped us enough backpacking tents (3 different designs) for the entire crew. The scouts sent a thank you letter in response.

Maybe the right person opened/read that letter?

You're absolutely right. All it takes is the right person.

It probably impressed someone that a Scout was writing and not an adult. So he showed it to his boss and said, "Hey! What can we do for these guys?" That guy said,"Let's just send them some tents."

It usually doesn't cost them much to be nice. After all, what could the actual cost of a tent be? AND they get free advertising. I'm sure that the Kelty story has been told and retold a thousand times.

Years ago, I was the door prize scrunger for my shooting club. I contacted one gun maker asking for a couple t-shirts or a cap. They sent a rifle.

Hi All,

I know that bass pro and gander mountain definitely give a discount. I actually went into Target last week, looking to see if they gave a discount and I found a great new product that a brought to a day trip with my kids. It was called Funky Colored Flames. You throw the product on the campfire and it changes the color of the fire, my kids absolutely loved it. I think it would be great for any scout activity around the campfire.

Cheers,

jdgfarb

Out of the blue today, I received a card in the mail from Hy-Vee (a regional supermarket) giving me a 10% discount on all grocery items used for Scouting programs. It has my name, Troop # and Chartered Partner on it. Nice surprise.

"I've got several responses lately that they donate to BSA and not local Packs/Troops. Do you get better response going to the local store than sending to the company?"

This is why units are not supposed to solicit donations! Individual units are not generally 501©(3) corporations and anything donated directly to them can NOT be deducted from a federal tax return.

A few years back right after Gaylans got bought out by Dicks. An Eagle Scout from the troop was working there; his brother was working at Gander Mountain. The CEO from Dicks was visiting the store, he was meeting with the employees and he asked them what would make the store better. The Eagle Scout says bring back the scout discount, my brother works at Gander and I can not even recommend that the scouts come here for their gear, since they can get it cheaper at Gander with the discount. We got the t 10% discount back! I was impressed with the scout that he would say that to a CEO. The Dicks store here still gives the 10 percent discount. The other one 30 mile away does not.

I miss Galyans!

I seen a program that Crosman airguns has that give DEEP discounts to youth organizations for shooting sports. GOTO crosman.com click customer service, then navigate to easyprogram. Place your order and answer questions when Beth calls.

Hope this helps

Dean

While it's not a Scout-specific discount, Bass Pro Shops is offering a 3-4-person dome tent for $19.99 (no s/h), valued at $45, through June 30, 2008, or while supplies last.

The brand is Boulder Creek, which I've never heard of - might be a Bass Pro house brand. It's 7x7 with a 50" center height, and weighs 6.03 pounds, according to the advert, so it might not be ideal for backpacking. It also doesn't appear to have a full rainfly. But it sounds like a good deal for families, a Cub pack or a younger Scout troop/patrol starting out and on a tight budget.

There's a one-per-customer limit, so you'd have to split up the orders. Call 800-BASS PRO and juse code L8DJ, or visit www.basspro.com/tent1 (not available in stores).

"There's a one-per-customer limit, so you'd have to split up the orders."

Did you ask if they would make an exception for a Scout troop, or must we lie to buy more than one and get the price?