Other Units Borrowing Equipment

I am COR of a pack and troop. We are blessed to have 3 trailers each of different sizes for different needs. Some of our older youth are multiply registered with specialized crews that I am not COR for. There is an event coming up where 4 of our boys and one of our ASM will be attending with the other unit they are with. They would like to borrow a trailer (with a few other pieces of gear). We currently have no plans for that gear that weekend, so there is not an issue of us needing it, but I am curious if there is anyone with experience loaning equipment out. Does it work out, build relationships OR does it usually cause problems?

Like any loan, it depends on the people involved.

I cringe whenever my brother asks to borrow something because I don't know what condition it will be in when I get it back, if I ever get it back.

If you're confident that the other unit will take care of the gear and will handle repair or replacement if necessary without getting lawyers involved . . . go for it.

If you're nervous about it, don't do it and blame it on the lawyers.

What Gold Winger said.

I'd loan it to them because a scout is helpful (this could mean generous too but not necessarily). It's an opportunity to do a good turn daily.

However, make sure they understand your expectations regarding the use and care of your equipment up front so there are no hard feelings should an issue come up later. Especially if they plan to borrow your equipment frequently (e.g., several times a year). For example, you may want to make sure that they understand that their use of the equipment will be secondary to the units you sponsor. You may consider having them provide a fair donation to your unit to cover part of the expense of wear and tear, maintenace, et al. The donation could be as simple as helping out at your next fundraiser. They should also be willing to replace anything that is inadvertently destroyed during one of their activities. Just because you're being helpful, doesn't mean you don't expect them to practice good citizenship.

Whether or not loaning such equipment will build a positive relationship or cause problems depends on your ability to communicate your expectations and their ability to meet the responsibilities you lay upon them. If you're reasonable and they're responsible, it should work out great. If not, problems will be incurred.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

I'm all for units helping other units.

I do think that there is a need for some sort of a written document that is fair to everyone.

The equipment needs to be looked at and inspected before it goes out and again when it is returned.

Time limits need to set down for when it will be returned (Along with where!!)

Some things do just happen and really are not the fault of the unit borrowing the equipment. For example while I'd expect anyone using the trailer to fix a flat tire. I think expecting them to replace it with a new one might not be fair.

A lot does come down to how well you know the people in the other unit, but sometimes when things are not clearly explained and put in writing you run the risk of not only maybe losing some valuable equipment but also some friends.

Eamonn.

I'd be hesitant if the units asking had no connection to your unit. However, in this case, the folks doing the asking are members of your unit who happen to be members of another unit as well (it even looks as if your unit is feeding those units, though you might have never thought of it that way - which is another discussion - why troops are quick to realize that packs are feeder units but aren't so quick to realize that troops are also feeder units).

I'd say go for it, just as long as the ASM and the 4 troop members understand that it is ultimately their responsibility for the care, repair and maintenance of the equipment while they are using it.

Besides, that unit may just have something to offer the troop at some point down the road.

Calico

Welcome to the forums!

Technically, I think the decision could be left to the committee. We did a loan recently when we saw in the news how another troop in the region had lost all their gear (due to theft, I think I remember). We had enough gear for that troop in our trailer so we contacted them with the offer of a loan if they needed it and if we weren't using it on a particular date. They took us up on it and it worked out fine. I'd say go ahead unless the committee objects.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

We lend tents and such all the time...

If one were lost we could stand to replace it.

Now a trailer full of gear... Well, I wouldn't want to ever lend some one so much that I couldn't join them at a camp fire if they lost it.

Our troop lends equipment to our pack on a regular basis. We decided that since "A Scout is Thrifty", it made much more sense for the pack not to purchase duplicate equipment that would only be used four or five times a year. This allows the pack (and all the boys and parents) to attend the cub scout and webelos weekends at our council camp easily. We have enough tents that we can loan tents to parents if they need them, and they don't have to go buy one just to go to camp one weekend and try out camping. Many parents will buy their own tent after the first weekend, when they decide Cub Scout camping isn't too bad. We even let the Girl Scouts use the trailer one weekend. (GASP.. we support all the Scouts at our CO!).

As a thank you, the pack has agreed to help purchase our next equipment order as we need replacement items.

How do yeh budget, Missouri?

Do yeh have any schedule or figures yeh use for depreciating equipment? What do you consider the life of a tent?

Let's say you buy tents for $100, they last an average of 10 years. So figurin' 10 weekend campouts a year, you spend $1 per tent per campout. How about stoves? Pots? Trailer costs? Tarps? Maybe you can just take your total equipment expense for 10 years and divide by 100 to get a rough figure. Then I'd double it, just because borrowers often don't take as good a care of your gear as you will - partly because they just don't know your procedures and the "tricks" of handlin' your gear. Add in your QM's time checking gear out and in, making repairs, ordering more tent stakes to replace lost or bent ones.

However yeh do it, calculate what your effective "donation" to them really is, in dollar terms. Then you have a number that's easier to make a decision on, eh? Would your unit be willin' to give them that as a cash donation ('cause that's effectively what you're doin')? Or, being thrifty, should they at least pay for your depreciation costs?

Beavah