I received my copy of the Central Region Newsletter and there are new changes coming in 2009 for the adults directing the course.

1. If a NYLT ASM who provides training and oversight of youth staff. (No other adult positions qualify) has completed 21st Century Wood Badge and has earned their beads and attended Trainer's EDGE within two years of the NYLT course, will receive a third bead.

2. A NYLT Course Director who completed a NYLT Regional Scoutmaster Conference within one year prior to NYLT service as Scoutmaster and signed the Scoutmaster's Pledge, attended Trainer's EDGE within two years of the NYLT Course, staffed a 21st Century Wood Badge Course as a Troop Guide and served as a Scoutmaster for NYLT, will receive a 4th bead.

There is no execption for previous service or for NYLT conferences held before 2008. In order for the NYLT course to be qualified the following requirements must be fulfilled:

The Scoutmaster attends the Regional Scoutmaster Conference.

The National NYLT syllabus must be followed and the course will be known as NYLT. Joint names such as Brownsea NYLT can no longer be used to qualify an NYLT course.

David Harrison

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I heard about this at our Area Training Conference last Fall. I can hear huge arguments on both sides of this. One thing they didn't allude to was the 4th bead for NYLT Course Directors. Thems might be fitin words...

I certainly understand that the commitment and level of staff development and training are similar, so much so that they mirror each other in most council situations, however wouldn't it be better in some respects to have a completely separate recognition system for staffing NYLT?

Thinking of it from a recognition collectors standpoint, you know who I'm talking about, the scouter who volunteers for things just to say he's been there, done that. This scouter really isn't in it for the youth, he's just interested in a new dangle from his neck, a new neckerchief, etc. Those people will be left without a special bobble from the NYLT course because the adult recognition for service is for Wood Badge...hmmm...

What's the totem or symbol for NYLT anyway?

In some Councils the tough old 4-Bead geezers have migrated to IOLS and NYTL and these are now the new Wood Badge.

Kudu

(This message has been edited by Kudu)

I am surprised to hear that joint names like Brownsea NYLT are not allowed. This was a big point that was brought up by the staff of NYLT Regional Scoutmaster Conference that I attended, this was the first conference for NYLT, so it was a few years ago. This was brought up by the staff not the attendees. They said it was encouraged to keep you local name and to keep the good traditions going from the JLTC course. I have to assume that something was seen that is making them change this. The way it is worded it sounds like maybe the traditions where getting in the way of the course?

I have to give some thoughts to the added beads. Right now I am thinking that I would rather see another type of recognition that could be added to the wood badge necklace.

But I would like to see point number 1 changed to SM and ASM. I think I see where they are going with this, but why limit it to only the ASM?

The symbol for NYLT is a compass like thing. Which can be seen here.

http://www.bsa-mdsc.org/nylt.php

No this is not the course I staff just a website where I found the symbol.

Interesting.

On one hand, it could help bust the "good ol' boy/gal" rings that the new course rules were supposed to eliminate (it didn't in my council). Although it may also give them control of NYLT (scoutldr's concern). They essentially already do so in my council so no change there for Moi.

On the other hand it really seems to dilute the meaning of the 3rd bead. At the moment I'd have to agree with dan and lean toward a separate recognition; however, I don't thing I'd prefer to see it on the thong.

In regards to 21st Century Wood Badge trained adults staffing NYLT, the syllabus recommends that adult staff have taken 21st Century WB. The changes in 21C WB have made the ties to NYLT stronger and I think the new changes will do even more.

David Harrison

The suggestion that adult staffers have attended 21C WB, is because the two courses are nearly identical, and the 21CWB trained adults will have a better grasp of the material since they've taken the same course presentations.

The SM does not get a 3rd bead, he gets a 4th bead if all the conditions are met.

• 3 weeks later...

ManyIrons writes:

On one hand, it could help bust the "good ol' boy/gal" rings that the new course rules were supposed to eliminate....

What is the official term for that policy and what is the actual wording?

Is there any indication that it will be applied to NYLT?

Kudu

This is again something that I'm not going to lose any sleep over.

As I have posted in the past.

I'd be happy if we didn't have Wood Badges with more than two beads. (No 3's or 4's).

But at the risk of falling into my "Groundhog Day way of thinking"!

Wood Badge is about Adult Leader Training.

Maybe the beads need to renamed "Leadership Training Beads"?

I do have my 4th bead.

I staffed a lot of courses and held many different positions on the Wood Badge Staff, before becoming or being offered the Course Director slot.

I'm sorry, while I'm not sure if a recognition is or isn't in order? Handing out beads from a course that is aimed at adults shows lack of imagination on the part of who ever came up with it.

It is also a smack in the face to all Cub Scouter's and Adult Venturer Advisors.

Eamonn.

I was at the Southern Region CDDC last year when they annouced that adults on NYLT staff could earn ther 3rd or 4th bead as a proposal. While the 2 courses are similar, there is still a vast difference between the material presented.

The wood badge beads have so much historical background that I think National has overstepped. Wood badge beads are for wood badge.

I've cajoled my council for many years about how they micromanage wood badge and ignore NYLT/JLT/TLDC. Every Scout deserves a trained leader, but the primary goal, IMHO, is to help boys become leaders and good citizens. NYLT may be more effective in achieving that goal than a trained leader. I sincerely think that if National wants to recognize adults for contributing to the local Council NYLT training that they should put the effort into developing a separate system of recognition.

Awarding wood badges beads for NYLT service seems to be a slippery slope.(This message has been edited by Tokala)(This message has been edited by Tokala)

Well, I have to wonder also about the idea. Not too keen on it.

There seems to be some out there who feel that the youth staff who put a lot of time in preparing to be staff should be recognized in some way. But I think many of their ideas just don't fit how we do things.

In my council, they do a round wooden bead for staff, which I think is a nice idea. Similiar to, but different from WB beads.

I don't like the idea of a knot for being on NYLT staff. You don't get knots for that. (also many of us would have a chestful of knots for staffing stuff...)

I also don't like the idea used in some councils of some permenant patch (patch on sleeve or what have you) for this. Again, you just don't do that.

More appropriate would be a special staff patch (different border, etc) that would be worn on the right pocket. A belt buckle (they do that for NLS staff), bolo tie or even special neckerchief are all appropriate.

Kind of wish National would look into something that would be recognizable nationaly, and would stop some of the nonsense out there.

Beautiful Oklahoma Day All

I have felt for some time that Scoutmasters struggle today with leadership development because National emphasizes formal training over the scoutmaster guiding the scout in actual practice. I really dont think the folks at National understand how to do effective leadership development, and this bead thing only supports that view.

I would gladly give up my beads to recognize the SM who gets the most leadership development with least JLT.

Barry

"I have felt for some time that Scoutmasters struggle today with leadership development because National emphasizes formal training over the scoutmaster guiding the scout in actual practice. I really dont think the folks at National understand how to do effective leadership development,"

Actually, as a former Scoutmaster & ASM, I would disagree.

I think many SM struggle with leadership development because they DON'T understand or know how to guide the scout in actual practice. These people need a 'canned' program that they can deliver to their scouts. And I have a preference for a 2nd-level, council-delivered program (today that's NYLT) to ensure that scouts get good LD training because I think that even with a canned program the SMs can deliver it will be inconsistant.

Whether NYLT is the best that could be done for this 2nd-level training is another matter.

"Kind of wish National would look into something that would be recognizable nationaly, and would stop some of the nonsense out there."

Or NYLT developers and staffers could be satisfied that their efforts have gone serve the development of youth leadership and leave the recognition at that.

SA