So, I'm a UC for units nearby a troop I've gotten to visit, and I find out something about a favorite activity within this unit I am not assigned to. It is an activity disallowed in the G2SS. What's my responsibility here? They do not have a UC - s'why I was offering to drop by so it's squishy!

Advise your Assistant District Commissioner or District Commissioner of the issue and explain how you discovered the problem.

There is a potential risk of injury to a scout - and potential liability on your part for being aware of it and taking no action should that injury occur.

MTDScouter

Man oh man!!

I'm so sick and fed up with hearing about "potential liability" I could scream!!

I'm sorry!!

First off I'm sure that you knowing and not doing anything does not in any way open the door to making you responsible for anything!!

Next what you decide to do is up to you!

Look at your options.

As I see it. - Remembering of course that I don't know what it is they are doing or not doing and I don't know the people involved.

1/ Do nothing?

Depending on what "Rule"?? is being broken or not followed. This is always an option.

2/ The action I think I'd take!! Is find the right time and place to talk with the person in charge and in as kind and in as nice a way as you can talk with him /her /them about it.

Once you have had a word with whoever, what they do next? Could? Might? Determine what you do next.

For example we in the Council do have a Crew that has shooting as their area of interest.

A lot of the members do go Paint Balling. They do so as a group of youths who enjoy paint balling not as a Venturing unit.

This being the case the best thing to do is to have a word with the adults and make sure they are aware of what the guidelines are.

3/ Follow the chain of command.

Talk with whoever it is you report to and make them aware of what is going on.

If you opt for this? I would suggest that having passed the buck (Observe and report) you leave it well alone. It's not your baby!!

4/If it really is something which is lightly to put someone in harms way? Call the COR inform him /her. But I'd be happy to leave this to the Assistant District Commissioner or the District Commissioner.

5/ If you are there (On the spot) and see something which is really unsafe. You do have to tell the adult or person in charge that they should stop this and stop it now!!

I do kinda think more details are needed before I would offer a real opinion about what needs to be done.

Commissioners are the unit friends and need to act in as friendly a manner as they can. If this is something of little or no consequence? You might be seen as some sort of a busy body?

Maybe the best thing might be if you could help recruit a Unit Commissioner for this unit?

Eamonn.

Eamonn, you've identified both the activity and my concerns in pursuing :)

The info was given to me by an enthusiastic new youth in the unit in the presence of the unit's CC. I stuck my fingers in my ears and sang "I cant hear you!" Mainly, to let the CC know that I am not going to play Ms Nosy, while at the same time communicating that the activity is questionable. I am thinking a friendly cup of coffee with the CC just to make sure he knows the G2SS stance might be a good step, but again, I am of no particular status with them, just love scouting and wanting to support units in reaching more youth.

Status shouldn't make a difference. If you know a unit is knowingly violating a G2SS rule, someone at the district/council level needs to know. What happens if one of the people in this unit are hurt or something worse happens? Doing nothing is not an option.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Yah, I'm with da "it's not your baby" on this one. Surely there's enough work for yeh to do in the units you commission for to keep you busy? If yeh start pursuing every rumor or tale, true or false, across your district yeh won't accomplish much beyond hurtin' your own access and credibility. I say this in part because I've been on da receiving end of a lot of rumors and tales, and 95% of 'em are fish stories, or things da local folks already dealt with, or just not that big a deal. Your "fingers in ears" response I think was exactly da right signal and tone. Leave it there.

I say that in part because paintball at commercial establishments is not a safety issue. They in fact have a much better safety record than Scoutin' does. It's a philosophy question about "wargaming" and image. So even if I was their UC, I'd only be havin' the friendly conversation to get 'em to think about the issue in those terms, to make sure they've considered it, eh? 'Round here, though, we're not a very liberal, anti-gun, anti-hunting culture. Da use of paintball doesn't really affect Scouting's image or reputation negatively, in fact, some of the other youth groups run by our COs run paintball, and at least one local (non-BSA) camp does as well. In your area it might be different, though, so a Scout paintball thing might be viewed negatively and hurt our image. Just depends.

Anyway, not your problem. Lots of adults and kids in da units you commission who merit your time and attention instead.

Beavah

As a commissioner you are charged by the BSA to support the rules and regulations of the BSA within your council area. Since the unit does not have an assigned commissioner I recommend you tell your District Commissioner (and the local scout professional in your district) of the unit's activity and suggest they send someone to get more information. They might ask you to look into it, or they might assign someone else, but it is highly unlikely that they would choose to do nothing especially since it involves a BSA safety policy.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"I stuck my fingers in my ears and sang "I cant hear you!" Mainly, to let the CC know that I am not going to play Ms Nosy, while at the same time communicating that the activity is questionable."

Good grief. I think you did exactly what you should have done. Unless you know for certain this activity is being done as a scout unit, ... and not a bunch of boys who happen to be scouts, I'd let it go. Unless you want to pursue youth that play football, participate in laser tag, martial arts, ride in go carts, hunt, climb trees and other non-G2SS approved activities. Then you can go after the units that wear blue jeans.

I doubt they are submtting tour permits for approval that list Paintball as an activity and don't expect to be covered by BSA insurance anyway. You have no liability for the recreational activities other folks who happen to be members of the BSA happen to choose to do of their own free will.

If it is being done as a scout unit, you might remind unit leaders it's not allowed under the G2SS as nicely as Eamonn suggests.

SA

I read this when you first posted it and decided to withold comment to see what the others said. Their answers were predictable. I am torn between, "notify the DC" and "MYOB", since you are not assigned to that unit. If the Council wants to know what's going on, then they need to get some more Commissioners on board. I might also suggest to the DC that a "refresher" on prohibited activities might be a good idea for Roundtable and/or the Council newsletter. Of course in my experience, the worst offenders won't be there to get the information anyway.

Yes, they do attend RT, and I'm thinking that may be a good approach - broad reminder to all.

I really appreciate the diversity of responses - you've given voice to the many competing thoughts I've been having :)

We do need more UCs and I'm running across names of folks that I might suggest be approached.

Thanks again!

Blue Skies!

Anne

Plus in Paintball, the idea is to shoot at people, in soccer, you are supposed to shoot so that you do not fit people. Having coached soccer a few years back, it seemed like the tendency for the youth was to shoot the ball at the goalie rather then an unguarded part of the net. So painball would be counterproductive