Just a thought on the whole wfa thing...

I was sitting here thinking about my WFA class and wondered if it is actually something necessary to take. I mean most people know basic first aid in an event that something might happen but what actually is the percent chance that something serious enough to require WFA training will occur??

As to why Im writing this I suppose I can admit to being slightly freaked out (try terrified) of this classhaving no knowledge may not be very useful but at least people dont expect you to know how to do things and to take chargeI kinda like stepping back and letting others figure things out. Also, (go ahead and laugh) the idea of a simulation or scenario doesnt exactly thrill me (I was the girl in the bio lab who got excused from dissecting worms!) last time I saw blood I nearly passed out (it wasnt even real blood eitherstage blood actually). I dont knowsomeone tell me its worth it.

Have any of you actually had to use this knowledge (and I am not talking about handing out band aids and patching up skinned knees) in a serious situation?

Well, I'm a paramedic, so I guess you could say I go looking for trouble ;-). But, one thing I've learned in my career in EMS is that as soon as you start thinking you won't need something - some training, some piece of equipment - you'll almost immediately have a situation in which that training or equipment would have been invaluable.

So, how often will you run into a "serious" situation - I have no idea. Depends a lot of the type of activities you participate in, and the training and preparation you put in to them. But, what are you going to do if you do find yourself in a "serious" situation, and there's no one else more knowledgeable immediately available to handle things?

I would say take the training. As far as being afraid of blood, the best way to overcome that is just to practice treating fake (or real) injuries, which your WFA training should give you some opportunity to do. Also, once you have some training, and you do find yourself in some kind of medical emergency, you'll be able to just apply your training to begin treating the actual injury, rather than getting distracted by the appearance of the blood.

Also, consider, that which appears to you now as a "serious" situation, might, after receiving some advanced training, appear to you as a manageable, treatable situation.

I took WFA last month and it was great. The simulations were extremely valuable and thoroughly enjoyable (and this from a guy who gets queasy watching hospital shows on TV). I hope I never need to use those skills, but now I am much more confidant that I will be able to respond appropriately when help is delayed.

I still don't see anyone giving me an instance where this training actually was necessary. If out of all the people on this forum I would think that at least one person would have had to use it (not counting those of you who are, in fact, EMTs). However, if all the replies I am getting are 'take it because you might need it' I honestly wonder how necessary it is for me (keep in mind I am not leading a troop or anything like that, this is a optional class I can take). I had thought it might come in handy when I apply for summer camps but most camps have you take a first aid course the first week you're there anyways, so it's not like I have to have anything coming in. The reason I am asking about this is that this class is, as I said before, optional and I can take another class in its place...I'm trying to figure out what would be the best to take.

I was a Boy Scout as a boy. Took all the first aid required for all the various ranks and badges at the time. Later I joined an Explorer Post that specialized in first aid. I took a 40 hour advanced first aid course, CPR, CPR Instructor. Thought I knew stuff. But everytime someone got injured, I did not know what to do.

Later I joined the fire department. Thought I knew first aid. Went on calls and found myself feeling helpless when around injured people. Took an EMT course. Was an active member of an ambulance service for about a year. That was over a decade ago.

I still remember standing around wanting to help but feeling unsure of what do to before I took EMT. Take WFA. You will lose your fear of injuries, blood, and gore. You will learn what is major and what is minor. Knowing that almost everything is minor helps you to look at injuries with an inner calm. You will learn things like all head wounds bleed a lot. I mean a whole lot. Usually it is a just a minor cut that a bandaid would fix anywhere else on the body. Taking WFA you will learn stuff like that. Instead of panicing when a camper injuries themselve and wringing your hands while waiting for the camp nurse, you can calmly take charge of the situation, reassure the other campers, and begin basic treatment.

Yes, you need to take the course even if you never have to use it. You will develop more self worth and be a better person. Take the course.

It is far better to have something for emergencies and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Self defense skills like karate, aikido, or a gun.

Seatbelts.

Ejection seats

Fire extinguishers

First aid kit

CPR.

The list is endless.

We are a rather small sample set and I know that I've been lucky and have never been around for any of the fun stuff with my son's troop like hypothermia or concussion.

I've been CPR certified for over 30 years but have never needed it. I keep my certification reasonably current because I never know when I might.

I'd like to take First Responder and EMT classes just so I could be better prepared.

My daughter's heart stopped beating at work one day a couple of years ago, and I wasn't there to administer CPR to keep her alive until the rescue squad arrived.

But every day I thank God and the American Red Cross-trained lifeguard across the hall who was certified in CPR and kept her alive until the squad arrived and could get her to the hospital and revive her.

Stop searching for reasons to avoid taking the WFA course. Some day someone may need your help. Take the course!

I took Level 1 Avalanche training this winter. The instructor went around the room asking everyone why they were there. Most responses were to learn how to stay out of trouble in the back country. But one fellow said he was there because his buddies wouldn't go into the back country with him unless he was trained. You see, knowing how to rescue an avalanche victim does you no good if you are the victim. But having your buddy know might save your life.

Kinda struck me as weird until I got to thinking about it. I'd rather have someone else in my group having WFA than myself. Consider it reciprocity.

WildernessStudent,

And there it is, (agreeing with Gern) you aren't taking WFA for yourself.

YOU are taking it for the people you go into the wild with. Or the person you (much more likely)help after an auto accident. But are your friends as worried about being able to take care of you?

Now as has been said before there may be some small character development with it, but you are helping your friends be safer by having the skills.

I've had Red Cross First Aid and CPR all ages with AED certification(since it's been availible) since 1984(or their equivalent through various agencies), Combat Lifesaver Certified(3 years)currently lapsed - can't legally use the certification in the Civilian world.

It is the skill set and the confidence that you can stay calm and THINK in the crisis that you should actually be after. So you don't have a Fully stocked 5 pound emergency kit with IV bag, ventilator bag, SAM splint - the question is what do you have and what can you do with it that will help your patient? What can you do to avoid joining them as a casualty? How can you get them out?

Ideally you want to have the skills and NEVER EVER use them! :)

I think there may be some luck involved as well as the small sample size but it could also be a testament to the dedication of the leaders here that they don't have a horror story to relate to you.

"it could also be a testament to the dedication of the leaders here that they don't have a horror story to relate to you."

Amazing point actually, which is why I specifically asked...I figured that because of the large number of members on here if no one actually had to use this traininng then perhaps it was pointless to take...what I neglected to think about was the fact that you guys are trained to avoid emergencies. Therefore all my little poll did was show how amazingly efective the BSA training is (I hope I have a bunch of boys to put in a troop one day!).

As for taking this class for my friends, I hadn't really thought of it like that before...I usually am one of the followers not a leader. Things like this class seem natural for people who are leaders to take (after all they are the leaders)to put myself in a position where I might learn things the leader of a group doesn't know (and infact might even have to handle a situation they can't) pretty much throws me out of my comfort zone. However, I have to remind myself that this is one of the reasons I am taking this minor (it is after all outdoor Leadership) to get out of my comfort zone and to learn how to become not just a leader but an effective leader (scary thought). I suppose I should just keep reminding myself of that.

"I figured that because of the large number of members on here . . ."

It might seem like a lot but, in reality, there are very few Scouters here compared to the number of Scouters out there. I am probably acquainted with about 100 Scouters personally and none of them participate here.

I do know that Scouters in my son's troop have had to deal with hypothermia, severe dehydration, concussion, lacerations, and a few sprains. Fortunately, we have incredibly well trained medical staff with the troop.

All to often, people approach training as it helps me, almost narcissistic.

But in the case of leadership training, first aid, adventure skills, and really most every training; come to think about it, its to help those around us.

Very altruistic.

"All to often, people approach training as it helps me, almost narcissistic. "

Yep. As Scouters we want training so we can do a better job and be offered the opportunity to take on more tasks. CPR and First Aid training may help me save someone's life so I can get a medal and be offered the opportunity to take on more tasks.

Now, I'm headed to a stream where I can gaze at my reflection for eternity.

I've never had to use CPR or operate an AED, but I keep my certification updated every year. I've never been on a campout where anyone had to use CPR, but I still recommend all of our leaders get the training.

So... you (WildernesStudent) could ask that same question about CPR - what is the percent chance that something serious enough to require CPR training will occur?? The answer is very low, in the low single digits. For me, the training is simply living up to the BSA motto - Be Prepared.

Also understand WFA is directed more to Scouts and Scouters attending our High Adventure programs (Philmont, for example). What % of Scouts attend Philmont or Northern Tier? I don't have that answer, though I'd be very interested in hearing it. That may be part of the reason you aren't getting the type of answer you want to hear - not a high % of Scouts attend the High Adventure camps, and most of our monthly camping trips aren't out of cell phone range or very far away from EMS response. We just aren't in locations or situations that would require the WFA specific skills all that often. But if you ever are a long way from the trailhead when a bad accident happens, you will be glad you went through the course.