I just got a phone call from an ex Scout of mine. He wanted to know what time to be at the memorial tomorrow for the dawn service.

25 April is our national version of remembrance day (which we also observe - WW1 was pretty big for this country so we do it twice - 63% casualty rate does that I suppose).

Why bother you with this trivia? I am proud of him and of the spirit that grew amongst the members of our Troop. This young man was a discipline problem, a low achiever and irregular attender. He has some psych/medical-behavioural issues and is generally cheerful despite his rowdy nature. He became a regular attender when he was elected as APL. In his final year he naturally became a leading member of the Troop. He took over as SPL without a vote or badges of rank. He just did it in the absence of his elders. It was his time and he felt a responsibility. Now he continues to be involved with the Troop over six months after leaving. No longer a Scout in uniform he has turned out to be a Scout for real.

So tomorrow at 5am I'll be standing in the dark paying my respects to our war dead with him.

Makes the SM years worth while to see young trouble-makers find their feet.

It's what BP started it all for.

Maybe this was something my Grandfathers went to France to protect.

Apr 25 is ANZAC Day. We remember the dead and maimed of WWI particularly, as it was a war which caused other nations to notice our county's presence - through the extraordinary feats of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF).

Our divisions spear headed every British offensive in 1917 and 1918. Our soldiers were instrumental in stopping the German breakthrough in 1918. Our forces conducted the first all arms battle at Hamel where my Grandad won his first Military Medal. (Still used that battle to teach all arms cooperation when I was doing officer training in '91). We introduced US companies to battle on that same day helping your divisions prepare for what was to come. Our soldiers captured more ground by agressive patrolling than entire campaigns planned by British generals in those years. They broke through the Hindenburgh Line, captured Mont St Quinten, shot down the Red Baron (Lewis gunner - Canadians reckon their pilot did it), were victorious at Messines, Polygon Wood, Broodseinde, Villers-Bretonneux, Amiens, and finally they mutinied. The casualties were so high that Battalions were being disbanded and men transferred to other units. They refused to disband and without officers requested to lead the next attack. They agreed to obey orders again only when allowed to continue wearing their old Battalion colour patches.

Proud?

Heck yes...of soldiers and of Scouts who show the same spirit.

Sorry for the rant. Lest we forget.