John

I read the thread that Margaret began, and for as badly as many posters treated her those same posters treat guys like fscouter and me just as badly if not worse much of the time. Margaret left and some people feel badly about their behavior. I would be curious if they would feel as bad about their behavior if she had stayed? Is it their behavior they regret or Margaret's reaction that bothers them?

This part of the post had no business in the thread it was in & does need to be addressed.

Did we as a group treat Margaret poorly? Yes we did. Do we treat Bob & FScouter just as poorly? At times, yes. And to Bob & FScouter reciprocate? Every chance they get.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why anyone thinks that Margaret was treated badly. She asked a question, it was answered in two ways, by the book and then with a suggestion that her son should be asking the question.

For some reasons, after he question was answered, she huffily said, "I guess I can't get an answer to a simple question." After that, the discussion really spun off into never land.

I have a feeling that she just didn't like the answer that she got. People do that all the time. They ask a question but don't like the answer so they blame the answerer.

She probably wanted to hear that it was okay to wear both patches because she had told her son that she was sure that it was okay. Now she has to go back and tell little Jimmy that she was wrong.

I see that same reaction all of the time in the real world. "I bought this TV three years ago and now it doesn't work. Can I return it?" Sorry, our return policy is 30 days. "Do you know how much money I spend here?"

"My son's only 12 can he play in the 13 year old league." No. "But he's really good!" No. "I know your commissioner! Do you know who I am."

People just get upset when they don't get the "right" answer.

Often a poster has said

this thread is surely dead

When out pops a tort

that sends dismay through the court

so the first one to bicker

is the guy fast at the clicker

Victory may be yours you say

Savor it, for at best it only lasts one day

Its Me had something to say,

But limerick guidelines may cause his dismay.

His etiquette vignette,

Was in rhyming couplet,

While limericks go A-A-B-B-A.

Now before others get frantic,

Please note that Im not very pedantic.

I would never say stow it

To an aspiring poet,

So lets just hug and forget these semantics.

My apologies to my friend

I whish I could go back to edit and amend

I had no idea of the limerick protocol

I just typed and tried to rhyme it all

I now see that rules are rules that no one should transcend

Ed, you said you never wrote a limerick

And you are close but still off a bit

Zahnada presented that Limericks go AABBA

So it takes 5 lines and ends with a rhyming A

Another line and a couple of B's are needed for you to acquit a Limerick

I think it is poor etiquette to correct someone's spelling. ;-)

If you can figure it out, why bother?

Grammar is more important than spelling in a forum. Its especially important to get across what you really mean because it could be a long time before you check for your responses and by then several people may have responded to what you said instead of what you meant.

It's really hard to salvage a thread with a serious grammar error on page 1. People will continue to respond to that post even if it is corrected on page 2.

Which brings us to another good forum practice. Be sure to read the entire thread before responding. Someone may have already provided your answer.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

some internet scouters in post

their thoughts on scouting would boast

with courtesy nill

and voices quite shrill

poor Margaret they surely did roast

Limericks require more than aabba rhyming they also require one couplet and a triplet in verse.Lines 1, 2, and 5 containing 3 beats and rhyming, and lines 3 and 4 having two beats and rhyming.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Ed, you said you never wrote a limerick

And you are close but still off a bit

Zahnada presented that Limericks go AABBA

So it takes 5 lines and ends with a rhyming A

Another line and a couple of B's are needed for you to acquit a Limerick

ee cummings is a poet hero of mine I must admit

To him the rules of grammar and structure didnt matter one little bit

To him slavish obedience to made up rules

Was something reserved to obtuse old fools

So he didnt care if he followed them

Is there a difference between etiquette and decorum? I mean, besides the difference between French ("Morticia, you spoke French") and Latin? ;)

I wasn't involved in the Margaret thing but I did read the thread...and I just went back and read it again. And I agree with Gold Winger. Her question was asked and answered. I'm not sure who said anything that was abusive or impolite...there were very few responses before she announced her departure. It's possible that she was merely bored or disappointed by our equivocation.

Anyone know if Rooster7 is ever going to return?