How to handle inappropriate adult actions

I was alway this week end, so I am late to this party so, if this is out of order, I apologize but intend to push on.

I don't see a problem asking a scout at a BOR who they are voting for and why. I would listen to the answer and move on. I don't see any merit in arguing the candidate, there is merit in hearing the youth reasoning.

Then ask "HOW" he will choose his candidate not "Who" he will vote for. That will still give you the information you need without violating his privacy.

The original poster was right to feel uncomfortable by the question when it was asked at a board of review. It has no more place there than it would at a job interview.

Then ask "HOW" he will choose his candidate not "Who" he will vote for. That will still give you the information you need without violating his privacy.

Either way is not violating anything and to think so is absurd!

The original poster was right to feel uncomfortable by the question when it was asked at a board of review. It has no more place there than it would at a job interview.

An EBOR isn't a job interview! Sure that type of question would be out of line on a job interview, but this isn't a job interview! The comparison is not valid.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Beavah,

Another technique would be:

Training. Our committee learned a lot about acceptable questions for BORs by attending the University of Scouting course. We're helping our BORs by writing up sample questions for each rank that members can pull from.

Of course you can always wait and post your concern at the Scouter Network for views from both sides of the discussion. You may not get concensus, but you'll certainly get a lot of strong opinions. ;-)

Yah, T78, LOL. Dat's fer sure, eh?

The danger in tryin' to spin off a new topic is that sometimes the warring parties in the original thread follow yeh right over the bridge and hijack the new one, eh? :)

Beavah

I have to agree with BW. Asking a scout who is going to vote for puts the scout into a very awkward position where the scout is already under a certain amount of stress. I don't ask other co workers, neighbors, store clerks, or other scouters who they are going to vote for. If a particular cocktail party conversation turns to politics that is one thing. If someone volunteers information about their voting plans, I may discuss it with them, but I will not start any conversation, much less an EBOR, with the question, "Who are you going to vote for?"