About a month back I got talked into doing the training for our District Committee.

I really need to take a look at how we do this. But that's for another thread.

One guy at the training works for our local Cable Company.

They provide cable TV, Internet, and are now into phone line service.

They are not a huge company, serving only (As far as I know) parts of SW-PA.

My dealings with them have always been good, they provide a good service, stand behind what they sell, seem to train the people who work for them well, come when the say they will come.

I'm not sure what position in the company this guy holds.

I do know the General Manager, he used to be based in our area when he was an Area Manager and he served on the District Committee.

During a break from the Training we were talking about District Service. He said that his company was looking for the Ultimate Question.

He went on to say that they had settled on "Would you recommend Armstrong Cable to your friends and neighbors?"

For the past month or so I have had this on one of my back burners.

I have read the threads about membership and dwindling numbers, taken note of what other forum members have said. Seems to me that what I got out of that thread was that our youth today tend to do things in a different way than the way we older folk used to do and kids for some reason are not as physically active as kids were when I was a kid.

I followed the thread about God and the Eagle Scout BOR. Have to admit that it seemed to me that some people think they are walking on egg shells, maybe trying to be overly politically correct? Most BOR are made up of people who do understand what they are doing and try to do a good job, but of course some people who think they are always right do try and impose their views and will on others.

I'm deeply saddened when I look at how we just don't seem to be able to reach and hold on to the youth.

I do believe that Scouts and Scouting is able to offer programs that kids will find attractive, fun and adventurous.

I believe that the volunteers who give up their time are for the most part good people who have great intentions. There are a few bad apples but these are very few.

While we can moan and complain, I think for the most part most units do their own thing.

National isn't overseeing anything, Councils and Districts don't get involved unless there is a really big problem and a good many of the CO have no idea what the units they charter are up to.

If "Would you recommend Armstrong Cable to your friends and neighbors?" Is the ultimate question for a local cable company.

What would be the ultimate question for the BSA, Scouts and Scouting?

Not just one section (Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts or Venturing) But the organization.

Would one "Ultimate Question" cover all the sections?

Would the volunteers ignore it?

Or would they try and use it as a tool to improve things?

Eamonn.

Hi Eamonn,

I think the cable question itself would work. I assume it is meant to be asked to consumers and probably would follow with if so why? or if not why not?.

So you would ask scouts and parents: would you recommend Scouting to your friends and neighbors and why or why not?

I suppose you could ask leaders and professional scouters but theres a built-in bias there; however, given some of the discussion Ive seen in my short time here it wouldnt surprise me to see some why not comments.

The question is so general that I think you cover all the bases. An articulate respondent could even include a hint of the negative in a positive response, such as I would recommend scouting because of X but it could be a better program if Y were included.

And yes, I would recommend scouting because:

It teaches boys responsibility and social skills in a fun and challenging way.

It allows a parent to interact with his/her son and his friends and provide an additional opportunity to serve as a positive roll model.

In a pack or troop with enthusiastic leadership theres always something fun and stimulating going on.

And on a personal note, it helps to keep an old man young!

YIS

Mike

My question would be: "Is there are better youth program out there for our kids than Boy Scouts and if so why?"

I have found a few things out there that offer a limited range of interest that do better, but nothing as broad and encompassing as Scouting.

Stosh

The Armstrong question is interesting.

Would I recommending scouting? Yes! But, they have to be looking for this sort of product. Do you go around telling everyone they need more cable wiring in their house? I think not. You only recommend Armstrong cable when there is a need for the product. "Hey, I am remodeling and I need a cable company. You know a good one?"

So when some one asks, Hey I am looking for an outdoor program would you know one? "Yes, of course", will come the replies from 99% of the people on these forms.

If we are going to tie this into the Dwindling Numbers thread we have to expand into creating a demand. Armstrong, does cable, WiFi, surround sound, intercom, fiber optics, home office... He meets multiple needs of his community.

Boy Scout does outdoors, character building, physical growth, citizenship, leadership, just to mix in some aims and methods.

I am not sure that "would I recommend scouting" is the ultimate question for scouting. At least not for dwindling numbers.

The ultimate question for both Armstrong and scouting is; how can I effectively meet the needs of my community? Armstrong does this through an understanding of his customer's needs and then by competitive pricing and competent service. Boy scouts should do the same.

I'm not sure that "Would I recommend Scouting?" is the ultimate question in our case. Unlike a cable company, which oversees all aspects of its service and tries to ensure a uniform customer experience, BSA does not do that.

I do think that it's a good question for a unit to ask itself. "Would you recommend Troop XYZ to your friends and neigbors?" But if someone asked whether I'd recommend Scouting in general, I'd really want to know which unit they were talking about.

But in order to answer the question how can I effectively meet the needs of my community wouldnt one need to ascertain what those needs were and whether you were meeting those needs? The recommend and why question would seem to me as a way to gauge existing satisfaction (the program as is is meeting needs and expectations) and, from the no responses, what needs were not being met and other suggestions for improvement.

I also would venture to say that a cable company does not offer a uniform experience. My company (Comcast) offers various levels of programming packages, Pay Per View, channels and Internet. I think even phone service is coming or has come. I can customize my experience to suit my needs. I think one could say scouting is more uniform for such reasons as requirements for rank progression and aging out, although a scout can choose to pursue a host of electives as well.

The unit level recommendation is an interesting take. I had interpreted the question as coming from a high level (National) as to the program in general.

YIS

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I agree with you generally. The cable company does offer some flexibility, and the BSA does try to insure some uniformity. But I'd contend that the cable company offers a lot less flexibility than the BSA. When you get a channel, there's pretty good agreement on whether it is coming in perfectly or not. I don't think Scouts has that same vision of what perfect delivery of the service looks like.

You want a backpacking troop? Is that for short trips or long? Patrol cooking or pairs? How much adult leadership? How will the costs be split? What lessons do we try to teach on each trip? Is there a morning devotion? How do we pair the boys up? How gruff is the Scoutmaster? How well do the parents get along? How much emphasis is put on advancement? on uniforming? What type of fundraisers will they do? What are the ages of the boys in the troop? Do they all have Asberger's? How chaotic are things? And so on.

Troops are just very different, in my experience, even while they are the same in some important ways.

I did agree with your interpretation of the original question - and it's not a bad question. I was just offering another way to approach the idea.

I'm not sure there can be just one ultimate question. The question would be different depending on the audience (the person being asked the question).

For instance, to a youth member, the question might be "Why are you a Scout".

For an adult unit level leader, I might ask "How are you making a difference in the lives of your Scouts".

For an adult District or Council level leader, I might ask "What satisfaction do you get from volunteering at the District (Council) level".

For community members at large, I might ask "What do you know about the Boy Scouts of America"

For a non-member youth, I might ask "Why aren't you a Scout".

Or perhaps I might consider there to be one ultimate question - to be asked of anyone - Scout, Scouter and Non-Scout alike: "If there was one thing you could change about Boy Scouts, what would it be?"

Calico

I don't have anything to do with the cable company and own no part of it!!

I first became a customer about 25 years ago.

At that time my choices for TV were an antenna, rabbit ears or the cable. They were the only cable company so I had no real choice.

My monthly cable bill was $9.05.

Over the past 25 years they have made a lot of changes and improvements. 25 years back I think I received 28 channels. Now I have about 70.

They offer two speeds of Internet service (I'm on the cheap one) They have a range of TV services, many of which I have never taken the time to really find out about (They have done a poor job of telling me!!) They are pushing their new phone service.

The local phone company Verizon is also now offering DSL Internet service, phone service and TV. Dish-network is pushing satellite TV.

In order to keep up with everything Armstrong spent a lot of money changing the cables they used to use to whatever it is they are now using??

The ads they are airing on the TV seem to me to be selling fast friendly service.

The ads for Verizon to me seem to be selling technology. But when I go on line and try to understand what the real cost is there is a lot of small print and hidden charges.

I don't know much about the Dish-network. It seems to me that they offer a cheap rate for a while and then hike up the cost.

The cable company does a good job of supporting the communities that they serve.

I have been involved in Scouting for about 45 years, 25 years in the BSA.

Back when I joined a Boy Scout Troop in London, my choice was: The local Boy's Club who spent all their time boxing. I didn't like the idea of being hit! So I passed on that one. The Boy's Brigade, who never seemed to do anything or the Boy Scouts who went to camp and had great summer trips.

When I moved over to the USA, I was impressed at how more organized the BSA was.

Maybe I just haven't noticed? But other than Venturing, not very much has changed in the BSA over the past 25 years. What we offer to a young Lad joining isn't much different than it was 25 years back.

I'm not sure if that is all good or all bad?

The marketing of the BSA seems to focus on selling the program to the parents. It seems to dwell on building character and values.

I have yet to meet a kid that joined Scouting because he felt the need for some sort of character overhaul or needed his values worked on.

I do think that the people who volunteer to serve have changed a lot over the past 25 years.

I look at the Scouter's who were around 25 years back and many were like my Father-in-law.

Ex-service men who had served their country and enjoyed the feeling of comradeship and fellowship that serving had given them. They were used to rules and regulations and didn't seem to mind following them.

I think my generation who wanted to ask why? and didn't just accept things at face value changed how we went about doing things. I'm not sure if the BSA has ever accepted this?

I get confused when I hear that more and more people are volunteering, but at the same time fewer and fewer people are joining service type clubs like the Lions, Rotary and the like.

While I of course respect the views of the people who want to for some reason turn the clock back and think that doing things the way that they were done a long time ago will help improve things? I'm just not so sure we can "Sell" that to the youth of today?

On the other hand I'm not so sure that trying to push Management type courses as leadership courses to the youth is the best of ideas.

We at times seem to get lost in "What we want to do" and "How we go about doing things."

Trying to marry the two (The Game and the purpose) does get a little mixed up.

I know at times I tend not to want to accept ideas that others think are great.

Some years back there was talk about installing a computer Lab at summer camp. This to me just seemed daffy. I still think it's daffy, but to be honest I never really took the time to think about it or find out more. - It just wasn't my idea of what Scouting should be!! So I was willing to just dismiss the idea, without much thought.

Much as some of us might not like it, I think we are all aware that change is inevitable..

Old timers, like myself do in our own little way hope that whatever changes do come are not too sweeping and pray that we in no way lose the things that we do well.

If I were to have to come up with the Ultimate Question, I think it might read something like:

"Are we meeting the needs of the youth and the communities that we serve?"

Eamonn.