Service Projects and Scouts that "Need" Hours

About a year ago, I was having a SM conference with our then SPL. He mentioned that something he'd do to improve the Troop was to have more service projects. He was correct in that we didn't do very many through the course of a year. Since then, we now usually have some sort of community service opportunity about once a quarter and have close to 100% participation in these projects, whether the guys "need" hours or not.

I was recently contacted by a community group asking our Troop to help them out. Unfortunately, we already have a service project for another group during the same month. So, I contacted another Troop in the area and told them about the project request. The response I got from the leader was he was sure there were a couple of guys that "needed" hours and he would let them know.

Something about this just smacks me as wrong. Shouldn't we be building a culture in our Troops that community service is something the Scouts ought to do rather than something they have to do for rank - you know, I've done my hours for (insert rank here), so I don't have to do any more?

"Shouldn't we be building a culture in our Troops that community service is something the Scouts ought to do rather than something they have to do for rank "

It used to be this way - "Do a good turn daily" was expected and there were no service project requirements or hours minimums for ranks (except Eagle), let alone a web site to tally hours and brag about it. Scouts were expected to show Scout Spirit by serving others either by themselves or participating in patrol and troop service projects.

I am trying to correct this mentality at the patrol level by having patrols work on the National Honor Patrol Award. Hopefully scouts will start thinking about this - seeing needs themselves and stepping in to help without a thought given to award or recognition like that unknown British scout who helped that American businessman in the London fog?

You're right.

...to help other people at all times....

This is not an option, Scouts do not make a choice here. There is not time limit requirement for the Scout Oath. If boys aren't showing up for service projects EVERY time one is needed, scheduled, or becomes available, the requirement for Scout spirit comes into question, not the requirement for service project hours.

I received a request from a local organization for a handicapped ramp to be put in at a private home needing it. All my Life scouts have EP's already in progress. The troop is made up of mostly new scouts so the work force isn't that reliable, but a boy from my previous troop needed a project so he took it on. I told him if he changes his mind, I get the project back because a scout was asked to do it and a scout somewhere will, even if it means my 3 NSP boys get out there and do it.

Stosh

gwd-scouter: Yes, it does sound wrong, but it seems they are just one year behind your SPL. Lets hope they catch up.

Our troop also does so much service that the hours requirement is a joke for our scouts. Funny thing is they seem to like it more than camping.

jblake47: Use care, unless you know exactly how to build a ramp you leave yourself open to trouble and hurt feelings.

I'm sure that with all new scouts it's not going to be much of a truly boy-led affair. It'll be an older boy/adult project with the new boys helping and learning what it means to take part in a major service project type activity.