Hello,

I know that the subject of Freemasonry is a controversial subject. However i know that there are many freemasons involved in scouting. I am one of those scouters. The question i have is, how do can i get my lodge involved in scouting. In my lodge there are many people that come up and ask about my scouting experience, they even gave me a nick name because of my involvement; The Eagle. I know that there are many ties between the two organizations. I would like to get my lodge involved in scouting and i know one way is to ask them to charter new troops or to ask some to become scouters, but the problem is the one troop we have is already chartered by the Lions Club and their is no need for a new troop. Also we have many scouters involved in our troop already. Please reply if anyone has any ideals on how my lodge can help.

(i know people out there may have a problem with freemasonry, however the importance is how can we help the boys and i feel that freemason lodges can help.)

Lee Shelton

Take a look at the Daniel Carter Beard Masonic Scouter Award. This may give you some ideas on the kinds of service your lodge can do for scouting (the Masonic Scouter Award is a BSA-approved 'community organization award').

Assumptions:

The Lodge wants to do something but there already is a scout troop in town chartered by the Lions Club. The town is not big enough to support two troops. I think that is situation.

Form a venture crew for older scouts.

Form a scout program for non-traditional scouts or handicapped scouts. Allow a troop to use the lodge facilities.

At one end, provide support in the form of Merit Badge Counselors for the various professions, trades, and crafts represented in your local Blue Lodge.

At the other end, become a Chartered Partner to Scouting.

I'd have a talk with your DE and UC, as well as the current SM in town!

Could always buy a campground, or (check with the Council) equip a campsite. Masons and Shriners are very good at fund raising. Find a need in the Council and let them know.

Could the District CSDC use some adult volunteers?

York or Scot?

In the area I serve we have a good number of Freemasons who are active in Scouting.

They serve in many different areas, but to the best of my knowledge they do this on their own with no active support or goals set by the lodge.

At one time nearly all of our Commissioner Staff were involved in the Freemasons.

It might be different in different areas?

Eamonn.