Approved shooting range.... question?

Your certified folks should have a copy of Cub Scout Shooting Sports with range diagrams. I don't have mine close at hand so I don't recall the pub # or specific distances. One question, are you talking downrange blocked off or behind the ready line back to where they will gather and wait to be called up to the ready line blocked off?

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

If you are running a BB-range, you really ought to have a copy of the book Shooting Sports for Cub Scouting. That book has a diagram of a range.

The specific answer to your question is 500 feet from the control line, spreading in a 30 degree angle to each side.

After serving as an Archery RO and Shooting Sports "Consultant", I agree with Oak Tree. But that is only like a "posted speed limit", the guidelines are "ideal" situation limits. Further, if you can, you want a bank of dirt or hillside behind the targets, put and aim your range AWAY from the main traffic routes and areas, and rope/caution tape off the area with TWO warning tapes about 10 or more feet apart.If you can arrange it.

And keep your range workers alert to "tourists" who 1)resent being told they can't walk/run wherever they want or 2)want to get closer to "see the action" or 3)want to watch Grandson Johnny "hit the bullseye" or4) have ADHD issues and can't/won't read warning signs (both young and old) or 5) want to see that rare poison ivy/linden/squirrel/track/. Whoo boy...

KiS MiF YiS

One would prefer to have the range back up on a natural "out of bounds" area such as an area of dense brush or woods or a body of water so that you could rope off the sides and prevent unpleasant surprises. Depending on the venue of the event the local police dept may want to inspect and approve your range after it has been set up especially if it is on public property such as a park. They may also come up with additional regulations such as BB traps that they want installed to prevent "environmental contamination". A hill or berm is very nice also. A temporary berm may be constructed of hay bales depending on the cost of hay. After the event the hay can be recycled for its original purpose as long as the bales are broken up and the hay tossed around to allow the bb's to drop out. A heavy tarp hung behind the target area will make a decent backstop and if you get it big enough to form a trough on the ground collect most of the bb's. Have fun!

Gunny

You are like me, you see a lot of the rules here and wonder who comes up with them.

I personally thinik that if you have the availability of a pond, set up your targets with the boys aiming that way. That is the way I saw it donw at camp this year.

Hope all works out for you