help desperately needed with tour permit

"Webelos adult leader outdoor orientation" may be a local council name, but the official course syllabus is called "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders".

I know "OLS-WL" doesn't have the pizzazz of more cutesy names like "OWL", or "WALOO" or any number of other locally made-up names, but OLS-WL does have the advantage of being the acronym for the official syllabus and thus s/b understood in any council, whereas locally created names obviously have the potential of not being understood beyond the council that made it up.

Also, OLS-WL is not considered part of basic training for Webelos leaders; in order to be considered "Trained", a Webelos Leader needs only New Leader Essentials and Leader Specific Training for Webelos Leaders. OLS-WL is not required in order to take a Webelos den camping (although I agree its certainly a good idea to have it).

OLS-WL is required in order to qualify for the Webelos Leader Training Award ("knot").

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW, you're right -- I took WLOT in 2001 when I was in NCAC.

Around 2005 or so, national revised the syllabus and renamed it OLS-WL. In content and format, it is intended to track IOLS so the two courses can share instructors, equipment, etc.

Whereas IOLS deals with TF-2C-1C requirements, OLS-WL deals with the outdoor Webelos activity pins (forester, geologist, etc.).

But OLS-WL is not required in order for a WDL to be considered "trained". It is required for a WDL to earn his (or her) "knot". And unless locally imposed by your council, it isn't required in order for a WDL to take his or her Webelos den on a den campout.

But as I said before, it is a good idea to have the training, which is why the CS Outdoor Program Guidelines say the WDL "should" have it, whereas pack campouts "must" be planned by a BALOO-trained adult who must also attend the campout.

I checked and Yorktown does not require the tour permit.

I did turn in the tour permit with all the other required information. If council chooses to not approve it we will still be going. This is all I can do at this point. Each cub scout is accompanied by a parent.

I do accept some responsibility. I have received brochures for Baloo in the mail and did not take the training. The couple of times a year it's been offered never seemed to be convenient dates. Our council is not the best organized. In my 3 years as leader we've had 5 district executives.

I've made other den leaders aware that this training is needed for the future.. My son is moving up to Boy Scouts so someone else will have to deal with it. I think the troop he's going into has more fully trained leaders.

Thanks again.