safe scouting/transportation question

I hoping someone can help clarify for me. We have a camping trip this weekend, and most of the leaders and scouts will be leaving on Friday night. Three of the scouts have a basketball game on Saturday and will be leaving for the campout after the game. One of our Assistant Scoutmasters cannot leave on Friday and has volunteered to drive the three Scouts up on Saturday after the game. The Asst. Scoutmaster is 18 years old. Can he drive the scouts to the campout?

The Guide to Safe Scouting says in part: 3. An adult leader (at least 21 years of age) must be in charge and accompany the group. 4. The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age.

So, does that mean that an adult leader 21 or older must be in vehicle with the 18 year old and three scouts?

Thanks!

I don't know for sure what the G2SS says (sorry) but you may want to check with your scouts' parents and make sure they're ok with an 18 year old driving their children around. Some may not be, regardless of the G2SS.

In your state, an 18 year old is classified as a teenage dirver. Therefore, before turning to the Guide for Safe Scouting, you need to ask the 18 year old if he holds a

provisional license, or a full license. Then you need to contact your DMV for additional clarification for a teenage driver transporting minors. If he's allowed to transport minors, then I also suggest written permission from the parents....